Custom built computer locks for no apparent reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, like the title says my new custom built computer is randominly locking up. Either when I'm playing a game, surfing the web, watching a movie, or sometimes when I'm not doing anything and its just on.

Here's a quick look at the stats:

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack

I did buy 4 gigs of RAM but they sent me DDR2 instead of DDR3. So I went to the store and picked up the only thing I could find. 2 gigs of DDR3 RAM. The RAM is the only thing I can think of that is causing the computer to lock up so randomly. But if anyone has any idea as to what could be causing it lock I'd be very great full.

Thanks

What is the brand and model of that 2 gigs of RAM you ended up installing? Perhaps it isn't compatible with the Asus motherboard or maybe the RAM voltage needs to be changed from the default motherboard voltage.

It's PNY DDR3. Only 2 gigs. Not sure on the specs of the ram but it's the only thing I can think of that's causing the computer to randomly lock.

Run memtest on it, if the RAM is bad it should fail pretty quickly. If you really want to test it, let it run for 7 passes. But in my experience if the RAM is bad you'll get an error on the 1st pass, most of the time pretty quick into it.

ok, running memtest now. seems to be taking a while just to start. a couple other things, the computer is liquid cooled. at least the proccesor is. a few of my buddies were saying that if the computer just freezes its a heating problem, but i've watched the temps and nothing is high, at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back