Custom PC setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtr690

Wat's Up tech spot people. I basically don't really know the first thing about pc hardware. I know some things now from reading forum topics and websites.So i was going to buy a custom pc but now i think im gona try and build it myself. Never really played pc games seriously before, but want to start now, Really looking foward to try Crysis and Star wars old republic

Here we go:
btw this is all from newegg, just looking at products for now.
and could someone explain what a motherboard is...
also i have vista now(laptop) but would it be worth to get xp. I don't care about looks i want a fast computer and if that means xp then thats what ill get

-CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power - $120

-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor- $165

-Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive - OEM=$75

-Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2LLK2/4G- $ 56 ( if i get xp)

-EVGA 01G-P3-N981-TR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card $150

-NZXT Guardian 921 CS-NT-GD921-B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $100

And from here i don't really know what else to get interal wise, Im gona get a cd/dvd burner usb readers, 15in1 ect. And i already have xp on disk from a few years back that never got used. Is this a good setup? overdoing it/ underdoing it.
Also one last question. I need a moniter and new tv. What should i get a 40 inch tv and like a 19moniter. Or a 28inch moniter to use as tv with ps3/360 ect.

Thanks for any help, and i know i spelt a lot wrong so sry its late

Well i cant post links but newegg has a SAMSUNG 460CX Black 46" 8ms HDMI Large Format Monitor Built in TV Tuner 1920 x 1080 500 cd/m2 3000:1... worth $1400

Jtr,
well a motherboard is the central hub of your computer. it contains all of the circuitry that links your components and how they 'talk' to and interact with each other......thats the readers digest version :) LOL. i took an approximate cue about your budget from your list. if ,as you mention, gaming is the main task of your build, i recommend these components. AMD makes excellent gaming machines and a great value. this configuration also allows you upgrade options for gpu if you ,as you say "intend to get serious about gaming" with a second PCIE 2.0 slot if you chose to crossfire down the road. the HD 4890 will give you excellent performance at high resolutions. if you want to provide a more specific budget, we can tweak it further. see what you think.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136058
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227298
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103680
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102830
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

heres a suggestion for a case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

A budget would definitely help us recommend specific parts. As for your question, you should opt for a 22" monitor at the minimum.

Hi jtr,
so gaming is your primary use for this machine then?
Most likely gaming will be the primary use. I still will use it quite a bit for internet, movies, and music. under $1000 but if i can get a good gaming system for around $7 or $800 that would be great because I can put that towards a monitor/tv(haven't decided).

Jtr,
well a motherboard is the central hub of your computer. it contains all of the circuitry that links your components and how they 'talk' to and interact with each other......thats the readers digest version LOL. i took an approximate cue about your budget from your list. if ,as you mention, gaming is the main task of your build, i recommend these components. AMD makes excellent gaming machines and a great value. this configuration also allows you upgrade options for gpu if you ,as you say "intend to get serious about gaming" with a second PCIE 2.0 slot if you chose to crossfire down the road. the HD 4890 will give you excellent performance at high resolutions. if you want to provide a more specific budget, we can tweak it further. see what you think.

The motherboard is the brain, it doesn't do anything besides tell what the main parts need to do and works it out, But is still necessary. And the AMD processor is less money and the same performance wise, and that way i get a better grafix card. Thats a pretty good price for me around 750(not including case). Im sure i can find some diff sites with diff prices to. I actually looked at that case already, but i don't really like it because of the ports on top. I plan on deffinitly playing and burning Cd's and dvd's a lot and want something of really easy access.
Thanks for suggestions. I'm going 2 be gone all day and will be back tomorrow

For $1000, I recommend these parts:
Grand Total = $957 approximately, not counting rebates. Should leave enough for shipping costs.

You should be able to max out the detail settings on any game and get very smooth performance at 1680x1050 (which is the maximum resolution supported by the monitor). I recommend using XP for now, and getting Windows 7 x64 when it releases. Be sure to register the video card on the eVGA website as soon as you get it so you are eligible for their lifetime warranty. Look here for more info on the latter.

Thanks Rage_3K_Moiz. You Guys have been a big help. I'll start ordering parts and saving up more to maybe get a bigger moniter.

Great, good luck with that. I would suggest going for a monitor with a maximum res of 1920x1080. Any higher and you'd be needing a dual-GPU solution.

Just for your own edification, you might want to go to the Toms Hardware site, and read up on all the motherboards that you are choosing from...
You have picked mostly very good stuff, but maybe overspending on such things as the power supply.
Be sure your memory works with whatever motherboard you decide...
I second the recommendations of Rage 3K Moiz as a better set than some of what you have selected... better motherboard, and wiser choice for power supply.

For $1000, I recommend these parts:
Grand Total = $957 approximately, not counting rebates. Should leave enough for shipping costs.

You should be able to max out the detail settings on any game and get very smooth performance at 1680x1050 (which is the maximum resolution supported by the monitor). I recommend using XP for now, and getting Windows 7 x64 when it releases. Be sure to register the video card on the eVGA website as soon as you get it so you are eligible for their lifetime warranty. Look here for more info on the latter.

I was just wondering. Would be alright if i went with Intel and GeForce. I have an AMD proccessor, and ATI graphix card and im just not a fan of them. Did you pick them because u like AMD or because u get more for your money

Both AMD CPU's and AMD GPU's are superior in this case (computer case...:haha:...). I see no AMD graphics card? Don't worry you won't even notice.

The Phenom II X2 550 matches the more expensive E8400, so it's no slouch. It also has better OCing potential, since it comes with an unlocked multiplier.

It is the best bang-for-buck choice right now IMO.

The Phenom II X2 550 matches the more expensive E8400, so it's no slouch. It also has better OCing potential, since it comes with an unlocked multiplier.

It is the best bang-for-buck choice right now IMO.

Alright, Thanks you've been a great help I probably picked the worst time to start to build a computer because I'm hearing of all these new products coming out later this year, along with price drops.

@jtr60, if you want, you can also grab two HD 4850s or get a single HD 4890 for lesser than the GTX 275. The GTX 275 and the HD 4890 are evenly matched, and the HD 4890 can be had for under $200 on Newegg.

There have always been new products... they are designed in to keep the wants lists up...
The enemy of good is better... there are plenty of sites on the net that provide monthly lists of the prices of new ones, and the price drops of the old ones... That will always be... That is the way marketers want it... do you get the latest thing, or do you get what is good enough for now?

The HAF 922 is essentially identical to the Antec 900 for the most part; this is especially evident from the look of the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back