Daily BSODs on XP

Trabador

Hello everyone,

I got myself customized a new CPU in around October 2010 and now since few weeks I had been encountering this bsod on my PC. There's specifically this time when I start my PC and it completely boots till the desktop shows up and after few minutes, mainly around 5-10 minutes(still no definite period), bsod comes and restarts PC. Sometimes the same sequence occurs more thrice or more.

It has now started happening everyday at morning when I first boot up my PC. I also ran the bluescreenview and it seems like other than Kernel there's only this one suspect. SYMEVENT.SYS related to Symantec. Though now, I have removed the symevent.sys, still the problem persists thus the only suspect seems likely to be the cause are either RAM or M/B.

If you guys want I can attach here the report of bluescreenview as well. Thank you. :)

Here are the details of my system:
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3070 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 80003 MB, Free - 61425 MB; D: Total - 99998 MB, Free - 97251 MB; E: Total - 99998 MB, Free - 93106 MB; F: Total - 196929 MB, Free - 174034 MB;
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., G41M-Combo, x.x,
Antivirus: Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Hi Trabador :)

Are you able to post minidumps so that I am able to get a better idea as to what may be causing the crashes?. Please refer to this guide here for help on locating & attaching them to your next reply.

Thanks for the reply snowchick. Here are the are the minidumps in the zip archives.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    184.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Minidump2.zip
    195.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Minidump3.zip
    179.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Minidump4.zip
    100.7 KB · Views: 1
Thanks trabador, you certainly have a lot of mini dumps in there! It may take me a while to have a look at them. I'll just use the ones from today & see what we can do, then if we can't seem to locate the problem I'll take some earlier ones, otherwise I'll be here for a while :)

After looking at a few they seem to be the 0x8E error and it cites various drivers as causing the problem. Seems like a memory problem (they will be trying to access parts of the memory while booting up & loading and this causes the bsods). I would suggest running a memory check first to make sure your RAM isn't corrupt.

Have a read of this guide here, make sure you leave memtest running for a good while. Usually 7 passes is the factory test for RAM but I'd suggest leaving it overnight as sometimes the errors don't appear until well into the scan.

Thank you so much Snowchick. I probably guessed that I'll have to use memtest. The only appropriate time for me to put it into action seems to be night as I'm a full time freelancer.

And just as I am replying to your post, I hear that one other of my PC is encountering this message at boot "WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT = windows\system32\config\system". LOL life seems to be hard at some particular times. Guess I'll have to go into the recovery console to mend it.

Thanks again for the reply and I'll be posting what happened with memtest in a day or two. :)

Thats fine :).

Once you have mended the problem, personally I'd check your hard drive integrity. I've seen a few cases where a corrupt hard drive can cause files to be inaccessible. See what the make of your hard drive is & I can locate a program for you.

Don't run chkdsk on the drive if you are going to run a hard drive diagnostic program as chkdsk can say its 'repaired' but it hasn't.

Sorry for the delay snowchick. I figured out that the whole problem was due to the dust in the CPU. It even got stuck to the fan badly with a bit of moisture. So here's a lesson to all the people getting BSOD's without any apparent reason. First of all, try to clean your CPU! Even If it doesn't work then you won't regret as it may cause big problems in future.

About the other PC I had to reinstall the OS due to some other problems as well.

All in all, really thanks for your guidance and help snowchick. Much appreciated. This topic can be closed now. I'd just say it again. if you're getting BSOD's without a reason, first try and clean the inside of your CPU.

Thanks for getting back to me about this Trabador :) Glad you figured out what the problem was, dust can cause a lot of problems. Make sure your computer isn't sitting on the floor, especially if its carpeted. Regular clean outs are essential as it can cause some serious overheating problems. Well done! Your very welcome

Back