DCOM system errors occurring in safe mode

jacklyb123

Hey guys, my PC crashed last night and even after I booted in safe mode I checked my system event log and kept seeing the following errors multiple times each minute:

- DCOM got error "1084" attemping to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server.
- The server __ did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
- DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server.
- DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server.

Now when I boot windows normally, I get the above errors, but I also get the following:

-unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.WindowsLive.Mail.AppXj3e9v0xw9sf8t58nqr15tqqb2yq4zsfg.mca as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error: "15612
Happened while starting this command: "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoftcommunicationsapps_17.4.9600.16384_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\LiveComm.exe"-ServerName:Microsoft.WindowsLive.Platform.Server

Just to note, for the past few days, powershell would run on startup and then immediately close in a flash. I have removed quite a bit of startup services and ran ccleaner,malwarebytes, and RogueKiller, but I am still getting these system errors.

I don't use any windows live services. I also can't find which service is trying to execute this. Also, the first 3 errors seems to stop occurring when I boot windows normally. So the first 3 errors are just in safe mode and the last error is only in normal mode.

I also get the following:

-unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.WindowsLive.Mail.AppXj3e9v0xw9sf8t58nqr15tqqb2yq4zsfg.mca as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error: "15612
Happened while starting this command: "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoftcommunicationsapps_17.4.9600.16384_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\LiveComm.exe"-ServerName:Microsoft.WindowsLive.Platform.Server

Just to note, for the past few days, powershell would run on startup and then immediately close in a flash. I have removed quite a bit of startup services and ran ccleaner,malwarebytes, and RogueKiller, but I am still getting these system errors.
You may have tripped over yourself in the cleanups - - windows is trying to start LiveComm

Use Control->Programs and scroll looking for *Live*, aka anything containing "Live"

You may have tripped over yourself in the cleanups - - windows is trying to start LiveComm

Use Control->Programs and scroll looking for *Live*, aka anything containing "Live"

I can certainly believe it, but I have no programs related to "Live" and the Program Files\Windows Apps directory is completely empty. I vaguely remember deleting the contents, but I am not sure what service is trying to find LiveComm.exe. I wish it told me what the source is in the system error.

So now your system registry is trying to start something that is not there :sigh:

Have you EVER reviewed or edited the Registry?

Yes multiple times over the past 3 years. And I'm sure some of the malware protection software modified it as well.

I'm concerned on YOUR ability to properly find and delete PRECISELY and not introduce more errors.
BTW: Take a new System Restore Point immediately. I'll document how to find the LiveComm meanwhile.

Your concern is certainly appreciated! I have already created a restore point on 5/7/2017 and 5/11/2017. I have followed your direction and created another restore point. I can definitely solve minor problems consistently, but when it comes to registry issues, it gets a bit hazy. What's next?

Ok, here goes - - suggest you COPY/PASTE these instructions into Notepad and save if we need to come back to them

• login as Administrator
  • get command prompt
  • enter Regedit

Left side are the KEYS, right side is what they point to; aka the data

dbl-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
now navigate by dbl-clicking
SOFTWARE->Microsoft->Windows->CurrentVersion

RIGHT-CLICK on RUN->Find

enter this
LiveComm.exe

• If it's found, the left side will still be Run
  • the right side will show three columns
  • Name Type Data
  • and under the Data column will be
  • C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoftcommunicationsapps_17.4.9600.16384_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\LiveComm.exe ....

If this is all TRUE, right click on the value UNDER THE NAME column -> go to Delete

If in doubt, change nothing, quit and start again

Now use the F3 key to find any other occurrence of LiveComm.exe; repeat the Delete IF FOUND

when no more are located, quit regedit and reboot normally

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I've see at least CCleaner do this; remove the program and it's files but leave the registry invocation still there and that produces strange startup errors, DCOM is but just one of them.

Yes, I've see at least CCleaner do this; remove the program and it's files but leave the registry invocation still there and that produces strange startup errors, DCOM is but just one of them.
Hi there!

I felt compelled to create an account and comment just to say a big "Thank you!" to you for this.

I didn't mess with my registries or run any cleaners or anything, I just started my computer this morning and it was hanging on log in every time. When I looked at the logs in safe mode, found this error. Your solution worked perfectly (after I spent 3 hours updating drivers and trying other solutions to no avail)!

So, once again, a huge thanks to you for solving this for me, really grateful.

All the best,
Phil

Back