DDR2 video card on a DDR3 mainboard?

[FONT=Arial]I got myself a new mainboard that is based on the ATX DDR3 AMD standard. But I also thought that the old NVIDIA Sparkle (GTX260--896MB) that is based on the DDR2 internal memory set still would work since the connector on the card is PCI-express. Does the DDR2 memory (896MB DDR internal graphics memory) stop the communication with the DDR3 mainboard? Its a bit unfear since this was not the case between DDR1 up to DDR2. Why has there come up such a brickwall between DDR2 and DDR3. Or am I wrong? [/FONT]

I think you're confusing system RAM with video RAM, they're separate things. What's the model of your motherbaord? If it has a PCI-E slot your GTX 260 should work.

OK! I just was reading about the specific settings of the video ram. Not the main ram of the mainboard. I was reading about this in another forum about that the videoram is also set to DDR2 on this graphics card and not DDR3. Anyway I may have understood it wrong. I have an ASUS M5 A97 R2.0. This is the AM3+ and has 2 PCIe expansion slots.

I have tried both of the slots. The graphics card require its own electrisity and the PSU I have is a 550 W PSU. I have put on an AMD FX 3,1 Ghz with 8 cores processor that require up to 125W. So I hope it is enough electrisity left for the graphics card. Im not sure how much wattage the grapic card require. But I think its around 60 to 100 W. The ASUS M5 can take max 142 W. Maybe the graphics-card is faulty or what?

Here are some pictures of the PC and the card

Attachments

• Picture 003b.jpg
    Picture 003b.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Picture 006b.jpg
    Picture 006b.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Picture 004b.jpg
    Picture 004b.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Picture 005b.jpg
    Picture 005b.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 5
Yeah, as slh28 pointed out - I think you're confusing DDR3 RAM with your VRAM.
Maybe the graphics-card is faulty or what?
Anyways, Is the card not working? What leads you to believe the card may be faulty?​

The graphics card does not react. The FAN does not start going when turning on the power. All other fans starts up. On the earlyer PC I had this card on it started immediately. But it could also be the mainboard also on this new one. Any suggestions?

Might be obvious but just make sure you:
  • Insert the GPU into the first PCI-E slot (the blue one)
  • Make sure the GPU is properly seated, should feel and hear a distinctive click
  • The GTX 260 should use 2x 6 pin connectors so make sure those are connected from the power supply.

Back