DDR3 value predicted to increase 50% in 2021

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Do you have an old PC that you never got round to throwing away or selling? If it contains DDR3 memory, you might want to hang onto it until the end of the year—those modules are predicted to dramatically increase in value throughout 2021.

According to a DigiTimes report (via Tom’s Hardware), DDR3 prices are expected to rise by 40 to 50 percent across 2021. What’s behind the surge? It’s the same reason why we can’t buy an RTX 3000 series, Zen 3 CPU, PS5, etc.: demand is far outweighing supply.

Few home PCs still rock DDR3, with the overwhelming majority of people now using its successor, DDR4. Moreover, DDR5 is on its way; TeamGroup in December said it had become the first DRAM company to enter the validation process of a consumer DDR5 memory module.

DDR3 prices on Amazon. Not as cheap as you'd think

But DDR3 is still found in a lot of legacy enterprise systems and IoT devices. In the first quarter of this year, increased demand combined with reduced production will see its price leap 20 percent, reaching up to 50 percent as the year goes on, according to industry sources.

Tom’s notes that many memory manufacturers, including Samsung and SK Hynix, are either slowing down production of DDR3 or phasing it out altogether in preparation for the start of DDR5 manufacturing. But not everyone is going down this route; smaller industry names such as Nanya Technology and PSMC are keeping their output steady, though it won’t be enough to meet demand.

Image credit: daniiD

Permalink to story.

When you buy a computer, you should max out the motherboard's memory slots as soon as memory goes on sale. This way, you'll have the maximum amount and won't have to search for parts later down the road.
You betcha

All my Windows XP machines are maxed out!

After all, these ain't no watchamacallit.... Goodwill machines

Last edited:
When you buy a computer, you should max out the motherboard's memory slots as soon as memory goes on sale. This way, you'll have the maximum amount and won't have to search for parts later down the road.

One exception: no pure gamer in history has ever has any need to go above 16GB DDr3. I My 4790k will be outdated before we get up above 16GB system ram

Every other previous ram type was embarrassingly low-density...this is actually one of the reasons the DDR3 memory type has stuck around so long (along with DDR4 barely being 50% faster.!

Luckily, there is a huge used market, paid half what I did for my last used stick of 2x8 ram two years back thnan Ipaid for my first system upgraded back in 2015

Last edited:
One exception: no pure gamer in history has ever has any need to go above 16GB DDr3. I My 4790k will be outdated before we get up above 16GB system ram

Every other previous ram type was embarrassingly low-density...this is actually one of the reasons the DDR3 memory type has stuck around so long (along with DDR4 barely being 50% faster.!

Luckily, there is a huge used market, paid half what I did for my last used stick of 2x8 ram two years back thnan Ipaid for my first system upgraded back in 2015
That may have been true at one point but there are games that seem to use close to 16gb. I've seen warzone use like 80% at times. Could be bad coding and what not but there are games that can benefit from more than 16gb. More so if you are doing more than just gaming at the same time like, streaming, dual monitors, multiple programs etc...

Disagree, I had to upgrade from 16GB to 32GB to run games like Star Citizen properly. CoD:MW benefited from the upgrade as well I found.

Disagree, I had to upgrade from 16GB to 32GB to run games like Star Citizen properly. CoD:MW benefited from the upgrade as well I found.

I'm sorry, I don't count barely-functional PC Tech Demos in the requirements for more ram.

And anything from Activision also falls under that description.

I'm sorry, I don't count barely-functional PC Tech Demos in the requirements for more ram.

And anything from Activision also falls under that description.
Nice, very mature way of taking a few examples of why your statement was incorrect.

It's cool, "we get it" you know, 32GB slept with yo gurl. After a punch up, you went back to 16GB's place looking for comfort but got more than you bargained for now you're kinda stuck with 16GB as your only friend.

I'm an electronic pack rat. Always remiss to throw computers away because there's always a use as long as they still work. So even if I could sell them, I don't think I could. I need lots of memory since I tend to open a lot of web pages. Yes, bad me. Chrome is the worst for memory hogging.

Last edited:
Nice, very mature way of taking a few examples of why your statement was incorrect.

It's cool, "we get it" you know, 32GB slept with yo gurl. After a punch up, you went back to 16GB's place looking for comfort but got more than you bargained for now you're kinda stuck with 16GB as your only friend.

Soyou think it's worth it making every other game up to 5% slower, just for thes two hogs?

to go 4 sticks at t2, comes with it a serious performance reduction; your other option is you usually have to take a speed hit to run 4 sticks at t1 (1866 down to 1600).

Why add the complexity unless you'e running Sandy-E?

Last edited:
Hell, I run 32 gig ddr4 just to keep my browser pages open. Next machine I will go for 64 gigs DDR? whatever it is then.

More memory speeds up my whole experience especially with SSD's. Other than those two it is video cards for better performance in my experience.

Back