Deleted vista - but not enough memory to create partition for XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says it requires 1000+ but it only allows a max of 958 or something.......

I've heard I need to turn NTFS or something back on, but I am a newb and wouldn't know wtf I'm doing.

I can bring up a C:/ Command window, Setup menu and Bootup > which then only takes me to create a partition and I can go no further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Could you explain a little bit further because I am assuming that you are uninstalling Windows Vista to install Windows XP. Is this correct?

Travis

Yes Travis,

I have read instruction on how to install XP over Vista.

It said to delete the partition for Vista, and to then press C to
create a new one for XP.

I have deleted the Vista partition, but now when I press C and go to create a new one, it lets me create one, maximum size of this is 958 or something, but XP requires 1000+ (Bytes or something)

So I pretty much need to make a bigger partition somehow....

What I suggest to do is to check you steps for install Windows XP. I have placed a link to a step-by-step with picture guide for installing Windows XP.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

What I think that is happening is that you may not have deleted the Vista partition. I think this because 958 bytes is less than a 1 MB of space, Vista and any operating system created by Microsoft in the last 15 years needs more space than that. Make sure when you are inside of the XP disk setup that you push "D" for Delete, the partition that Vista is installed on. This will permanently erase the data off of that partition.

*/*So make sure that if you have anything that you want to keep that you back it up somewhere else. */*

Then try to create a new partition with the unused space by press "ENTER."

Hopefully this will work for you.

Is their any reason that you don't like Vista because I have been thinking about upgrading to Vista for a while but have been holding it off so Microsoft and third party vendors can fix problems with compatibility with the new operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back