Dell Inspiron 1505 & Express Cards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a Inspiron 1505 and i am looking around at different Wireless Broadband cards. I have heard good things about Verizon's V740 Express Card, but it has a 50 MB monthly data limit (i don't even know how much that is, but i don't think i like be limited). I'm also looking at Sprint's Merlin EX720 which has no monthly data limit. Since i really don't know much about this kind of stuff, i'd appreciate any advice or information on either of these or others you think are better.
Thanks!

when you use cellphone internet service AKA cell-fi, AKA EVDO, your data usage is limited by contract. This type of service is designed primarily for email downloading and web browsing. Downloading files quickly will use up your alloted 50mb limit. Some cell phone contracts state that going over this limit will either hit you with large fees or they reserve the right to terminate your contract for being in breach. This is because cellphone internet has limited bandwidth to start with. Cell phones work primarily by "time-slicing". That is to say, not everyone is using the same tower at the same time. Your cell phone internet card, slices this time. The more you use it -say by downloading, the more time you are hogging from the tower. This cuts or reduces service for regular cell phone users.

Cell phone internet service is expensive and primarily designed for business travelers who need to check their emails on the go. It is not designed for heavy internet use. Use your wifi card on your laptop for that ( and go to a coffee shop or other wifi provider.)

EVDO / cell-fi service is also limited in speed due to bandwidth limitations. You can purchase bigger bandwidth of course, at a premium.

Are you using this mainly at home, school, and office?
You can do fine without this worry, unless you are on the road, by signing up with any of the providers which service youre residence area with DSL or cable. Just have them put on a wireless cable or wireless DSL modem... then use short term wireless when away from home... usually wireless cafes, schools, libraries, etc, when on the road.
Are you in a rural or underserved location?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back