Dell Inspiron 530S random freezing

mlkmgr

As title states, 530s desktop randomly freezes. No specific time or program or anything. Just extremely random. May work for one to 3 days without a hiccup but eventually just becomes unresponsive. No new software installed. Cleaned fans. No hard drive or fan noise. Ran malware bytes, super antispyware, avast, and all came up clear. I ran Dell's system diagnostic check and all tests passed in the extended option.

Specs:
Windows Vista 64-bit
E5200 dual core at 2.50GHz
4GB ram
450GB hard drive (61GB free)

Any thoughts or suggestions where to start? I do not know if this is hardware or software issue.

Thanks in advance!!

The power supply might be showing signs of age and may need to be replaced to fix this random freezing

Any way to test? Will any power supply do or are there specific for this case type, etc?
Thanks for the reply!

This computer is pretty old, right? It may have what they call a proprietary supply, meaning only a certain type will fit the case. You will have to try another power supply, there is no real way to test one in this case

Yes, I believe 2007 so will try to determine if this is the cause by swapping a power supply. Thanks again.

Swapped power supplies and when I was in the case, the fins above the cpu were clogged with dust. cleaned those out and now sit and wait. Will post back in a few days to a week. Thanks again.

2 seconds after posting the update, had a bsod. never had that before, would just freeze and become non-responsive. using the computer now and waiting to see if anything happens again.

BSOD"s produce minidumps. These minidumps produce clues. To post minidumps Go to C:\windows\minidump and select all the .dmp files. Right-click sending these files to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload this folder as a file to your post

When I attempt to right click and 'send to compressed (zipped) folder' it states "file not found or no read permission". I downloaded a program to read and below was the information provided. If below doesn't help, then maybe you can explain another way to get the file here. The desktop became unresponsive again last night. I ran Memtest for 8 passes with no errors thinking maybe memory but it tested good.

upload_2015-11-29_8-49-31.png

They are not memory issues, its more the a hard drive error. That hard drive may be getting old too

Going to swap the hard drive for a new one and install windows 7 in the process (have software disc I was going to use on my rig). will post back after that is completed.

Back