Dell: it's easier to develop for Windows Phone 7 than Android

Emil

Staff

Dell CEO Michael Dell recently spoke at an event in Hong Kong and declared that it was easier to develop for Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 than it was for Google's Android platform. That's great news for Microsoft, given how important it will be for the company to build developer interest if the software giant's platform is going to successfully take on Apple and Google with a completely new platform.

Dell did still have good things to say about Android though. "What's interesting about the smartphone space is how it's changing into a more open-modular system," he said according to Reuters. "It's staggering that Android has now surpassed Apple in terms of originations and this is happening at a much, much faster rate than what folks had envisioned."

Android is dealing with fragmentation due to many versions, which Windows Phone will supposedly tackle effectively with its update system. Given that Windows Phone has yet to receive an update, however, Dell is saying apps are easier to develop on Microsoft's platform than Google's platform, fragmentation or not. Third party developers should thus be able to quickly jump on the Windows Phone bandwagon.

Dell, the world's second biggest PC maker, this week also announced that it was buying US cloud-computing services company Boomi to improve its ability to provide software over computer networks. Terms of the deal for Boomi, which helps integrate cloud-based applications and smooth data transfers between programs, were not disclosed. Founded in 2000, Boomi raised $4 million in 2008 in an initial round of institutional funding and is based in Berwyn, Pennsylvania.

Permalink to story.

it's true that there are problems with updates for android. it takes a lot of time for different phones to receive an update.

The way i see this article is that not everyone can code at the same speed in every system. I can see someone with java experience preferring android over the win 7 phone. It really depends on the programmers experience and background. I actually can't really see why Dell announced this at all.

I am basically a noob in whatever programing language I try. Closest i got to being actually good at coding was with visual basic.

twiztidsef said:
The way i see this article is that not everyone can code at the same speed in every system. I can see someone with java experience preferring android over the win 7 phone. It really depends on the programmers experience and background. I actually can't really see why Dell announced this at all.

I am basically a noob in whatever programing language I try. Closest i got to being actually good at coding was with visual basic.
Then Windows Phone is for you.

Like twiztidsef basically said, it depends on the programmer and the environment in which he/she is coding. This is actually a pretty stooped thing for Dell to say; really though, how many applications have they developed for Android? Get back in your hole Dell, and stick to building computers, shut up about programing, in which you have little experience besides... well, crappy windows bloatware that you always put on your builds...

anything windows would of course be easier to work with, i mean its been like that since way back and i dont think windows phone 7 is going to be an exception.

twiztidsef said:

Although Dell isn't particularly known for its software, I'm sure there are a slew of good programmers at the company who are well versed (or who specialize) in different languages.

Windows .net libraries completely blow away the Android libraries. It's not even close. Of course, you can still do anything with Android or any platform if you have the time, but Microsoft is still king of the hill when it comes to rapid application development.

Hmm. I was thinking of waiting for the iphone 5 or android but maybe I'll jump ship if win7 gets some kickass hardware.

I some kind of have my own issues with android too. Sure will get a way around them. Still working on understanding how it all works.

Well... WP7 to run needs a specific hardware, that is why WM6.5 wont upgrade to WP7, because of hardware limitations.

The only problem with .net on windows is that it is so bloated when compared to techniques such as java, etc. For example, the swedish program AdAware uses visual c++ runtime libraries, and a single weekly update can take an hour on a computer built as recently as 2005. Enabling AdAware's runtime protection can make such a computer almost unusable. Computer speeds remain at about 3Ghz and are not getting any faster. These programs don't optimize the code in any way to make it multithreaded. I wrote a 3 line visual c++ notification area program in 2005 using visual studio and it took up 100M of memory. Multitasking, bah. My 2007 laptop cannot do 3 minorly cpu or i/o intensive tasks silmultaneousely without screeching to a halt. With this bloated software, computers are lucky to do ONE THING at a time.

@9Nails
Almost every big hardware company do have software developers employed; they need to refine their offerings according to the needs of that specific segment of a market they are targeting, so there is nothing surprising in this.

@princeton
Samsung showed their AMOLED screen WP7 offering and it is .......... brilliant; the hardware is on par with their Android offering, and much better than the iphone. Having said that, despite the significant improvements in interface and performance, this OS is still being developed, hence it will be key how MS treat early adapters of this platform.

they are announcing this because there new wp7 is released soon well when and if they release any info about it im waiting for it as cant decide between htc hd7 or htc hd or the yet to be released dell

New platform easy to develop hope they can compete with android since it's easy to develop hope they can come with some new features that can rival android.

I'd rather have 1,000 useful and comprehensive apps than 100,000 not so useful apps. Wouldn't be able to browse all of them anyway.

dear sir my htc 3400 not connected with my laptop del inspiron 15r through USB any solutIon

Back