Dell joins the growing list of major retailers now accepting Bitcoins

Shawn Knight

Staff member

dell bitcoin alienware e-commerce bitcoins virtual currency cryptocurrency coinbase

Add Dell to the growing list of major retailers now accepting Bitcoins. The computer maker announced the addition of Bitcoins as a method of payment on Dell.com for customers in the US as part of what they're calling a pilot program.

In a blog post on the matter, Dell said they were able to implement Bitcoin payment in just 14 days. They also become the largest e-commerce merchant to accept Bitcoin with nearly $60 billion in annual sales.

As we've seen from other retailers, the PC maker is using Coinbase as their payment processor. When you’re ready to make a purchase, just add your items to your cart as usual, fill out your shipping details and choose Bitcoin as your payment method.

When you submit your order, you’ll be taken to Coinbase.com to complete the purchase at which time you'll be able to pay directly from your digital wallet or by scanning the QR code with your smartphone. Alternately, you can send a payment directly to Dell using a Coinbase account if you have one.

As part of the announcement, Dell will soon launch a promotion in which customers can save 10 percent off a new Alienware system purchase (up to $150 limit) when checking out with Bitcoins. Interested parties are encouraged to keep an eye on Dell.com/bitcoin for more information.

Dell joins major retailers Dish Network, Expedia, Newegg, Overstock and Tiger Direct in accepting Bitcoins as a method of payment. Amazon is still holding out although I suspect it's only a matter of time before Bezos and company warm up to cryptocurrency. 

Permalink to story.

Wow, Dell jumped on the train as well...Kinda shocked to be honest.

Once a commodity achieves mainstream endorsement it ceases to be a "train." I'm not into the whole cryptocurrency scene, but once something is accepted by major market participants as an acceptable medium of exchange, it becomes legitimate.

Wow, Dell jumped on the train as well...Kinda shocked to be honest.

Once a commodity achieves mainstream endorsement it ceases to be a "train." I'm not into the whole cryptocurrency scene, but once something is accepted by major market participants as an acceptable medium of exchange, it becomes legitimate.
Meh, its on the edge in my book even with places like newegg accepting it. But maybe train was a poor choice of words.

Either way I stand by being surprised Dell went ahead and jumped into the market.

The value of a dollar in my wallet has never taken me for a roller coaster ride, wondering if the value will be the same the next day.

While you maybe correct about the exchange rate of a dollar rising and falling. Bitcoin is the only one I consider a roller coaster ride. No other exchange rate is so unpredictably unstable.

Correct me if I am wrong, but buyer and seller pay no taxes on transactions correct? That might one reason some of these companies are adopting Bit-coin.

Correct me if I am wrong, but buyer and seller pay no taxes on transactions correct? That might one reason some of these companies are adopting Bit-coin.

To my knowledge there is no transaction tax. The seller will pay taxes on whatever cash they recieve from the sale. The buyer will also pay the same tax when he converts the Bitcoins to cash.

Stated otherwise, they will have to pay one of three taxes: long-term cap gains, short-term cap gains, or income taxes.

All corporations will accept bitcoin because it is the global single currency agenda being put into action. For those who follow it, this has all started to kick off big time since the bilderberg meeting this year. For those sheep who would rather stay blind, just accept it like you accept your freedom being taken away on a daily basis and you will remain happy and safe! A cashless society where every transaction is accountable and your money is controlled by someone other than you. Who needs a world with privacy anyway?!

Stand under the CCTV camera and keep smiling and waving at those lovely people who know better than you how you should live your life.

The value of a dollar in my wallet has never taken me for a roller coaster ride, wondering if the value will be the same the next day.

While you maybe correct about the exchange rate of a dollar rising and falling. Bitcoin is the only one I consider a roller coaster ride. No other exchange rate is so unpredictably unstable.

The people behind credit score made bitcoin :)

All corporations will accept bitcoin because it is the global single currency agenda being put into action. For those who follow it, this has all started to kick off big time since the bilderberg meeting this year. For those sheep who would rather stay blind, just accept it like you accept your freedom being taken away on a daily basis and you will remain happy and safe! A cashless society where every transaction is accountable and your money is controlled by someone other than you. Who needs a world with privacy anyway?!

Stand under the CCTV camera and keep smiling and waving at those lovely people who know better than you how you should live your life.

Are you sure about that? Wouldn't the idea of control be through a centralized currency system controlled by the global banks instead of a crypto currency run by the community? Keep in mind that Bitcoin requires individuals and small groups to mine Bitcoins through powerful computers. I understand what you mean about a cashless society where everything becomes numbers, but it seems Bitcoin is more like cash where there doesn't need to be a centralized 3rd party corporate bank managing the transactions.

I know about all the corruption amongst the Bilderberg meeting, the Rothschilds and the Rockefellers and their plan to control the world's population btw.

Reply to Holotus:

I agree with your question about the banks. Only my theory but I reckon that the banks are at some point going to take control over Bitcoin. Bitcoin has been 'demonized' in the past and made out to be a currency used by shady dealers. It may be that the governments and the banks use this murky reputation to hatch some plan to 'legalize' and clean up the currency and make it more acceptable to the hapless masses by giving it a new name and a shiny new 'safe and secure' image. Once they have total control, every transaction will then become traceable and although I'm not religious (but have studied it), "no one will be able to buy or sell without the mark of the Beast." As I said, only my theory.

Glad to hear that someone else on the forum is clued up about the global agenda.

^^^

I hear some people say how gold & silver is the true value of currency and if the economy collapses that'll become the standard once again.

I honestly find that extremely hard to believe because I own a small amount of gold & silver.... and if the economy were to collapse for a few years then there's not much I can do with the coins. Unless I somehow manage to break down each coin into small tiny pieces.... that that wouldn't work out in the end for trading properly.

I see cryptocurrency as the only way forward because the American dollar won't last much longer. As one system falls another takes its place. Though I'm pretty sure the global elite have plans to unleashe the "Amero" currency for the North American Union.... Bitcoin seems to piss all over those plans because it's decentralized. It's possible for someone to own $10,000,000 worth of Bitcoins and stash it inside a flash drive and hide it somewhere just like physical cash.

It's possible for someone to own $10,000,000 worth of Bitcoins and stash it inside a flash drive and hide it somewhere just like physical cash.
And like physical cash if you lose the flash drive or it dies (a common occurrence), those bitcoins would be gone, correct?

It's possible for someone to own $10,000,000 worth of Bitcoins and stash it inside a flash drive and hide it somewhere just like physical cash.
And like physical cash if you lose the flash drive or it dies (a common occurrence), those bitcoins would be gone, correct?

That is correct. But the important part is that you can duplicate the code number within flash drive, or write the code down yourself. It's basically just storing a number for the Bitcoin ecosystem to translate and then give you the total amount. In some ways it's actually much safer than cash if used properly.

Back