Dell launches two value-oriented 27" gaming monitors

Humza

Staff member

The crowded market of gaming monitors has received two new 27-inch entries: Dell's S2721HGF 1080p curved display and the S2721DGF 1440p flat-panel. Unlike its Alienware division, Dell's latest 27-inch duo isn't going all-out in terms of design or specs but is focused on delivering value for money, especially with the curved 27-inch G-Sync compatible unit going for under $300.

Dell S2721HGF 27" Curved Gaming Monitor

Sporting a 1080p VA panel with a 16:9 aspect ratio, this model's 1500R curvature won't be as immersive as a curved ultrawide display but will likely excel when compared to a flat panel. Its affordable price point also lowers the bar for gamers new to fast curved monitors capable of 144Hz, 1ms response time, along with G-Sync and FreeSync Premium compatibility.

The display doesn't support HDR but gets reasonably bright at 350 nits, supports 16.7M colors, and has a 3000:1 contrast ratio. In terms of I/O, there's 2 x HDMI 1.4 and 1 x DisplayPort 1.2, alongside a 3.5mm audio jack. The VESA mountable monitor is said to only come with an HDMI cable out of the box and is set to release on August 21 for $280.

Dell S2721DGF 27" Gaming Monitor

The more exciting and more expensive option is the 1440p 165Hz variant. Coming in at over twice the price of its sibling and sporting a flat display, this gaming monitor is compatible with G-Sync and FreeSync Premium Pro. It uses an IPS panel with a 16:9 aspect ratio and features a 1ms response time and HDR400 compliance.

Apart from the higher resolution and refresh rate, the S2721DGF supports 1.07B colors for 98% DCI-P3 coverage, sports a slightly more interesting design -- even if it's only on the rear -- and has better I/O. That includes 2 x HDMI 2.0 ports, 1 x DisplayPort 1.4, 4 x USB 3.0 Type-A and a mic in/headphone jack. The monitor is also VESA mountable and will be released by Dell a few weeks earlier on July 28 for $580.

Permalink to story.

"features a 1ms response time and HDR400 compliance"

Why bother at all calling it HDR. How can it be so difficult for a $600 monitor to implement HDR properly.

"features a 1ms response time and HDR400 compliance"

Why bother at all calling it HDR. How can it be so difficult for a $600 monitor to implement HDR properly.
Yep, It's proven as well that a bad HDR implimentation generally looks worse than just not having HDR on at all. I'll wait for the reviews of the monitor but I agree with this, no point calling it HDR if it's such a terrible implimentation of it.

Yep, It's proven as well that a bad HDR implimentation generally looks worse than just not having HDR on at all. I'll wait for the reviews of the monitor but I agree with this, no point calling it HDR if it's such a terrible implimentation of it.

Couldn't agree more, can't wait for a Techspot review.

Was going to post that. I got my 32" curved 1440p 120hz one for $270. There are a few makes consistently available at that price.

The 4k monitors are widely available and lots of times cheaper than 1440p models...! Why haven't 1440p monitor prices come down...?! The corporate greed is the best answer...!

Back