Dell Password Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dell inspiron 5100 with service tag # 7WGV731. I was having problem with my computer and uninstalled the operating system. While the operating system was removed I had a new motherboard put in the computer. When I know turn on the computer it comes up with a black screen and blue box that says, "Enter Password (Service Num:3544831). I have no idea how to get rid of this and I can't do anything on the computer because of this. When I try to type things in if i get it wrong to many times it says "system disabled". Any help is greatly appreciated.

It's asking you for the BIOS password. Where did you get the new MoBo? If it was by a Dell tech, you can call Dell for the password. If it was from a store, call them to find out.

golfinguy5 said:
It was from dell. I have already talked to dell support and they say that they do not know the password.....

Huh? How can they NOT know the password!?!?!? Call back in and talk to another tech. Also, the BIOS falls under your hardware warranty so you should go to the Hardware Support call centre (it's in India) I used to work for Dell but at their HelpDesk call centre at Ottawa, Canada.

I forgot to finish off my last point. When I worked at that Dell call centre, I discovered that not all tech agents are the same. One time you can get one that really knows his/her tech and the next time you get a dolt! Also, you may have been at the wrong call centre. Although the BIOS is a program, it's really what's called "firmware" as the program reside on a PROM chip on your MoBo. Since that's the case, it's the Dell hardware department that is responsible for knowing all about it. Make sure you ask for Dell Hardware Support when you call in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back