Dell XPS 400 Windows XP pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all-

Hope I am posting in the correct forum.

I just got a new Dell XPS 400 Pentium D out of the box.
It came with Windows XP Media.
I wanted to install XP pro which I from my last retired PC straight from Dell.

I booted to the CD and it did it's normal driver loading etc.
Once it went to the next set up screen: Repair - install - quit. I get no keyboard response and it locks up.
I went through this a number of times with the same result.
I thought it was possibly the PCI-EX video card took that out same results.

I TRIED putting the hard drive in another machine with a pentium 4 and it installed without a problem.
I did update to service pack 2 then ran sysprep and removed the harddrive installed it back into the original machine and now I am in a reboot loop.
I am at wits end. I don't know if this is XPpro issue, a Pentium D processor issue....Has anybody heard of anything similar occuring?

Help!

if your keyboard is USB try a usb to PS\2 adapter or hook a PS\2 keyboard up and try it. I always had problems with dell and usb keyboards when trying to install windows.

No ps2 port! The good ole' days are gone forever...hee hee.

I am thinking that the keyboard locking up is merely a syptom and not actually the problem.

There has to be someone who's run into this issue before. I can't possibly be the first....although I guess there's gotta be a first for everything??

HELP! I'm in the same boat!!

I'm having the same EXACT problem with my new Dimension 9150 Pentium D. :mad: Have you come across a solution for this? I am thinking about buying a ps2 pci card and trying to use a ps2 keyboard...

Ideas??

Slipstream!

Spyder -

Slipstreamed XP CD. I am at work right now so I don't have the links to the site I used, but there are tons of sites that document the process. Just google Slipstream XP and you'll be all set.

Get that SP2 integrated in there and you'll be all set.
I was pulling my hair out with this dude...the only good thing is now you won't have to.

I only had one issue and that was that once windows set up started it did not recognize my SATA drive.
Again I am at work so I don't have the link to the other post I went by but basically what I did was go into the setup menu and change the harddrive detection settings from I believe: raid\sata to raid\ahci or something like that. I apologize for my ignorance here.

Give it a shot and post and let me know how you did.

How did you make out?

Spyder -

Howja make out?
Let me know if you need any more info from me and I will see what I can do to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back