Desktop computer refuses to boot

By Nuyuu ยท 5 replies
Mar 5, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. I made a bad a month ago and I had to disassemble my GTX 660Ti GPU in order to clean up and apply a new thermal adhesive since my PC crashes whenever I use any program that uses my GPU excessively. Once I reassembled it again and put it into place with absolutely no accidents the PC just wouldn't start up anymore, I went through Google to see tips on what could be wrong but nothing was out of place, I disconnected the power button from the motherboard "pips" and used a screwdriver to try to force the boot like they do in YouTube tutorials but it didn't work.
    I connected my mouse, camera and loudspeakers and they were powered so it lead me to think it is not the supply unit but then I noticed that they are all connected to the motherboard USB ports so I don't think it is the motherboard either, if it is necessary I'll post my CPU,PSU and motherboard information in a response. Thank you for your time. (this was written from a phone so sorry about the formatting too)
  2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing. Posts: 3,228   +777

• 450 Watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 24 Amp on the +12 volt rail.****
    • PCI Express, PCI Express 2.0 or PCI Express 3.0 compliant motherboard with one graphics slot.
    • Two available 6-pin PCI-E power dongles
    • Windows 10 32/64bit, Windows 8 32/64bit, Windows 7 32/64bit, Windows Vista 32/64bit, Windows XP 32/64bit
    Are both 6-pin connectors made? Is there any indication that they need to be split to different rails (some PSUs have single big rail, others have 2 smaller ones - having both 6-pins on same side of a 2 rail can be too much for a PSU)
  3. Nuyuu

Nuyuu TS Rookie Topic Starter

PSU: ATX-550W P4
    MB: AM1B-M ASRock
    No, this is not the first time I try to run the video card on my computer it just started melting down recently that's why I switched the adhesive, I'd like to upload images of how the setup looks but this site fails all of my uploads.
    Just give me an advice, should I buy a new motherboard, new computer box or what...
  4. Cycloid Torus

Advice: troubleshooting.... read the manuals (download from maker)
    Advice: troubleshooting.... keep notes
    Advice: troubleshooting.... check all connections first
    Advice: troubleshooting.... make it clean
    Advice: troubleshooting.... make a flowchart / decision tree with cheapest changes at beginning
    Advice: troubleshooting.... replace suspect parts with known good parts until the problem goes away.. the last part you replaced would be the bad one (probably)...

GTX 660Ti GPU uses a lot of power - needs 24 amps on rail to which it is connected .. many 550w PSU have split rails, like this one.. ... and only 22 amps per rail
    Be sure to work out your power budget before buying parts.

Thermal Paste is not adhesive, it is a coating which fills small voids between chip and heatsink so heat can move across the space. Use a small pea sized dot in center of chip - it is spread by the force of attaching the heatsink, and why you need to tighten screws in a crisscross pattern starting with slightly tight and increasing to firm (but not forced)
  5. Nuyuu

Nuyuu TS Rookie Topic Starter

During the night at some point the computer had turned itself on and was stuck in a failed system restore loop.
    Apparently the best solution when everything is in place is to just let it sort itself out with time...
    Thanks for your support :>
  6. Cycloid Torus

Glad to help. Sometimes with these updates, it appears there is a can take a couple of restarts to sort out.
    May you recover easily.