Desktop freezes when i right click

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excelsion

When i right click on my desktop to like make a new folder or something my cpu shows an error that first says, that windows error thing, then when i click dont send report is says Drwatson postmortem debugger has encountered a problem, any idea on how i can fix this?? it just start happening like 2 days ago

um can someone anyone please help me this is getting really annoying, when i right click on the desktop windows error messege come up and my entire desktop freezes but i can still move mouse, any help plz?

boot in safe mode and see if it still does it.
can you describe anything more about the error? codes, things that look like random numbers/letters etc
navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump and post 5-6 of the most recent ones here..

you need to zip up your minidump as an attachment for analysis here. You have a driver issue.

The right click menu freeze problem.

Cause :This is usually caused by a faulty shell extension put in the right click
menu.Sometimes by spyware,sometimes by Divvx or Spysweeper or photoshop or
probably the program you`ve most recently installed.

Solution :Either uninstall the program you`ve most recently installed,

Or

1.Go to Regedit

2.Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

In this key, all shell extensions are listed which work with all files. The * is a real star, it does not mean 'any key' here!

3. Choose "Registry" - "export registry", so you can revert your changes later. Choose to export only the selected branch.

4. Now delete one context menu handler after the other, and then try each time in (Windows Explorer) whether right click works again. This way you should find the defective extension.

5. When you have found it, you need to double click the .reg-file created above to restore all shell extensions, and then delete only the malfunctioning extension.

If the error happens with directories or with virtual folders.

You may have to repeat this with the keys

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

or

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

From - HERE

i did what peddant said but in another way i found on google and it is working now thanks for the replies tho

Please note, we do not run this site just to solve your problem! For the benefit of all users round the world, if and when you solve your problem, it is good manners to give as full an explaination of what you did to solve it as you can.

In this case, many people may be all agog to know what 'another way' is ? Even more important, what was the offending shell process ?

thanks

you are right that was very wrong of me let me explain what i did:
first i search google for:windows encounters a problem when i right click desktop, then i found this link http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
i followed the directions and downloaded the shellexview, then i disabled all and start doing a sort of process elimination, then it turned out to be Graphicshell ext class in the description it said igfxpph module from the intel corperation. the only possible explanation i can think is the reason i am having this error is becuase i install a new graphic card and i recognized that igfxpph as some type of thing to do with my older graphic card. but since i did that everything has been working fine. I am really sorry for being so self centered you guys have helped me alot.

Thanks

Thanks for that.

Your crime wasn`t nearly as serious as gbhall seemed to think :)

but your information is useful.

I`ve recommended Shellexview on previous occasions,but people have

always complained that it was too complicated to use.

Maybe your experience might encourage them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back