Despite quality issues, Apple may be adding LG as an OLED display provider

mongeese

Staff
Why it matters: As pre-orders for the new iPhones open we start to see some new details about internal components emerge. LG has apparently just passed Apple’s quality tests and will join Samsung in producing the flexible OLED displays used in the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.

The news come via unnamed sources from Korean Herald subsidiary ETNews, so take it with a grain of salt. But the move would be very logical for Apple: Samsung’s 95% OLED display market share means they can charge whatever they want for their beautiful screens, which were the most expensive component of the iPhone X.

Competition from LG could lower the prices allowing the iPhones to be more profitable. LG Display has also allegedly begun preparing for mass production at its new OLED manufacturing plant.

But are the screens good enough?

The Pixel 2 XL used an LG OLED panel and that phone became infamous for its awful viewing angles, lack of uniformity and worst of all, image burn in. LG’s own V30 handset also suffered from poor viewing angles and uniformity, but not nearly to the extent of the Pixel 2 XL. Let’s just hope that any LG screens used in the new iPhones, and the LG V40, are significantly better.

Permalink to story.

I wonder when we might see LG screens in iPhones then. Surely ppl who preordered will receive the Samsung panels as they've been producing them for weeks now to meet the launch demand. But it would be good to know when LG actually joins the team so that the comparison could begin ;-)

I wonder when we might see LG screens in iPhones then. Surely ppl who preordered will receive the Samsung panels as they've been producing them for weeks now to meet the launch demand. But it would be good to know when LG actually joins the team so that the comparison could begin ;-)

I'm glad to be in the iPhone upgrade program... :)
(I was lucky with my 6s+ with CPU manufactured by TSMC)

Based on the woeful Pixel XL OLED LG screen, Apple are morons to want to go near them.

Its entirely possible they have ironed out the issues, and if the price cut is significant enough probably worth the switch for apple. Personally I think its a good thing since I think monopolies are almost always bad.

I'm glad to be in the iPhone upgrade program... :)
(I was lucky with my 6s+ with CPU manufactured by TSMC)
Nice! Actually I wondered lately how does the program work? When did you join and did you pay enough to cover the price, or did you have to 'top up' the difference (assuming you are buying a new iPhone this year)?

Back