Different RAM on one motherboard

benmenftw

Hello there, I wanted to add 2 more gigs of ram to my system. right now I have 4 GB of DDR3 1600Mhz dual channel ( 2GBx2.) What I want to know is if I put in another 2 GB stick of 1600mhz DDR3 ram that is not the same brand, voltage, or cas, will it still work in my machine? By the way my motherboard is an msi 770 G45.

I believe he means timing as in:

CL 9-9-9-24

It is listed in that kind of format. You can probably check that in the BIOS or if you dont know where to look try looking online.

As long as its ddr3 it should work, never heard that you need the same speed and timing for ram to work together before. Here's a cool ram site that will scan your system and tell you what compatible ram you can buy. You can then hit up newegg and get it cheaper.

http://www.crucial.com/

Many people will tell you (although I'm surprised at the responses so far) that you shouldn't do that and that things won't work right. But in reality it works most of the time. Until just recently I was running 2 1 gig sticks of Crucial Ballistix and 2 512meg sticks of Corsair Value RAM, until my Crucial died (lol) I had no problems, and I did this for over 2 years.

Now Asus boards are pretty particular about what type of RAM you run in them, if you have an Asus board then mixing types might be a bit more 'risky' and by that I mean you are more likely to have issues.

Back