Differing temperature readings on rebooting pc...whats correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my first post i do apologise if this is wrong place etc

i've done some reading first including the sticky but still have a question or two.

some background: had windows 2000 sp4 on pc for approx 18 months, it was getting very bogged down, losing codecs (couldn't watch things), system was getting full then it started rebooting while using either nero (would burn cd's fine until use cdtext then system reboot), then tmpgenc and divx encoder usage kept rebooting system....got to point where system was in rebooting loop....unfortunately i just decided to format and didn't know at the time about minidumps or anything so have no info pre format. at time of format someone mentioned i may have heating problem....they showed me how to look into bios and the temp was approx mid 70's Celsius. they cleaned out the pc and the fans best they could but temp only dropped to 70C with side left off.
have formatted onto windows xp sp2, everything fine for almost a month then system starts rebooting again but this time while only using soulseek. also freezing first which it didn't do on win2000. spent some time looking at SS forums and it seemed netgear fa311 ethernet card was culprit, upgraded driver and touch wood have no reboots for two days.

but in looking at this site i downloaded two cpu temp monitors - hmonitor and motherboard monitor. both say my system is running approx 54C while bios still says approx 70C...is my bios wrong?
i think overall the system is still too hot and i haven't put the encoding programs back in yet to see if they push the system to reboot.

i've never upgraded my bios and wondering if i should....and looking at the soltek site there seems to be a few upgrades do i just pick the latest one?

my minidump eventviewer info for latest windows running is
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x100000d1 (0x00000400, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xf8553a96). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini010306-03.dmp.

i unticked the always reboot button and my last bsod had driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

but i'm fairly sure the netgear is at fault there.

please let me know if i should add anything else....i have system specs on my profile
thanks

Mmm your system does seem a little on the warm side.

I`d be inclined to believe hmonitor and motherboard monitor.

What cooling do you have?

Maybe you should take off the heatsink, and clean off all the old thermal paste/pad from the heatsink, and cpu die, using some isopropyl alcohol. Then apply some new thermal paste to your cpu die, and reattach the heatsink.

Only apply a very small amount of thermal paste. See HERE for further info about applying thermal paste.

As far as your BSOD`s go. Zip 5 or 6 of your minidumps together, and attach them here.

You might also want to take a look at this thread HERE

Regards Howard :)

ok...i have no idea what my cooling system is.

i have 3 fans including the one over the cpu...one at the top and one at the bottom...is there a way i can tell you what the cooling is?
my invoice says AMD Just Cooler Fan P-8000

i have done both memtest and chkdsk with no errors but realised i memtested with both sticks of ram in togethor so should do it again seperately. i bought the 2nd stick not too long ago and made sure it was compatable to my system but it has crossed my mind that most of my problems occurred after buying it.
atm i'm not rebooting but i'll post the minidumps anyway...i only have 5 all up...as i said i don't have any from before i formatted

thanks

edit: fan speed is approx 3100rpm and HD 1 & 2 temp is 43C by hmonitor
its also summer here and very hot room in high 30's ...a/c will be installed on weekend hopefully and possibly may make some difference to

Your suspicion that your netgear is responsible for your crashes is correct.

All your minidumps crash at FA312nd5.sys. NETGEAR FA312 Fast Ethernet NDIS 5.0 Miniport Driver. They all have a bugcheck of D1.

Your AVG antivirus is also referenced in your minidumps. This may, or may not be a contributing factor.

Try updating the Netgear drivers. If that doesn`t help, then try another ethernet card.

It`s ok. I now understand what cooling you have. Try what I suggested earlier with the new thermal paste. Make sure you unplug you computer from the mains before attempting to do this, and also make sure you`re grounded to prevent static build up from frying your system. An antistatic wrist strap is a good investment, and they`re only cheap.

oh thank you for quick response...

interesting about the AVG!

the netgear is now upgraded though that was difficult as apparently the fa311 is no longer supported but so far its holding up...if it goes again i'll just replace the card...i'm glad to know my hunch there was right

still wondering whether to upgrade my bios?

i'll be getting someone else to look at the heatsink/cpu for me, and i'll need to purchase some paste from the looks of it. thanks for the info. that plus new a/c will hopefully help matters...i was going to have a look anyway as i actually fried a motherboard two years ago...at the time the shop said the cpu was fine and just replaced the mobo but i wonder now if the cpu has been under stress and i want to check for any burn/scorch marks just in case

so touch wood that will be all from me problem wise....i'll be back if everything goes haywire again once i start putting everything back into the pc the way i want it and get back into encoding

cheers :)

I don`t advise you to upgrade your bios, unless there is a very good reason to do so.

I am aware of how hot it is in Australia, as I have a son, and an ex-wife who live in Brisbane.

ok i'll leave bios alone then, thank you

i'm a brisbane girl myself, but am living north of there now.....terrible weather :dead:

things going well with heat issues, air con has dropped my cpu usage down to approx 46-48C from previous 54C via motherboard monitor and hmonitor

have pulled cpu out and cleaned it and applied silverarctic, cpu looked fine.

do have burnt out area on another part of mobo though so have posted new thread for that.

edit: bios reading for temp is 61C, down from its original 72C 'ish, obviously an improvement but still having the differences between what the bios says and what the monitors say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back