Dire need of professional grade assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eedarf

A8N32-SLI Motherboard
512mb Nvidia GeForce 7900 Videocard
2gb Corsair Ram (2 sticks)
4800+ Dual Core Processor

When I power on the computer, it gives two short "humming" noises and then one long beep followed by three shorter beeps. After that, everything seems to power on properly, except I get no video.

This scenario happens now that I have removed all of the LED fans.

Before that, it would refuse to boot up to the beeping stage.

It took close to 8 tries, after I removed the fans, to get the computer to functionally boot.

All that I'm describing has happened in the last few hours. Before that, there would be occasional hang ups, but everything ran exceptionally fine.

Please help, I sincerely need this computer to work in the next day.

As always, I truly appreciate all attempts to assist.

Dos Beep Codes

I remembered something briefly in a class I took years ago, about Dos Beep codes. I reviewed a chart on some obscure website and all of the different codes I've been recieveing point back to the videocard occassionally including the system memory as a lesser potential culprit.

Maybe twice out of the bajillion times I've tried to start this computer up did I get the dreaded continuous beep pointing at my powersupply.

Could those have been flukes? What should I do to troubleshoot the actual problem?

you should check the manual or the bios'es site for the Beep Code list.
it sounds like a PSU problem, try to unplug some other devices cd-rom,extra hard-drives etc.

What would cause the PSU to go bad? It's a 680w tank. I wouldn't think that a couple extra fans and a meaty video card would cause it to burn out.

you'll need to consult the motherboard manufactuer. Read the manual or go to their website. Beep codes vary from maker to maker.

I popped the Video Card out...

And the beep code is still the same. Could that zero out the problem being the video card?

I noticed that after the long beep and the 3 short beeps, that roughly 30 seconds later, there's another beep. Just one.

Unfortunately, the manual says nothing of beep codes and the website is less than helpful itself. Asus is currently closed and will remain so until Monday.

Drats...

without a video card, you will get beep codes.
Beep codes indicate a hardware failure, usually. Have you tested your RAM with memtest 86+ booted from a floppy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back