Disable onboard audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skitzo_zac

I have just ordered all the parts to my new system.

Do i have to disable the onboard sound to use my xfi sound card? Should I? and if I can or should how do I go about doing it?

I am getting an Asus P5N-E-SLI nForce 650 mobo and a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card.

I dont see how the other hardware will have any effect on my audio but here are the specs any way

HDD - Seagate 7200.10 320Gb 16Mb SATA II
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86Ghz 2x1Mb Cache
MOBO - Asus P5N-E-SLI nForce 650 SLI Quad Core 775
DVD RW - Pioneer 212 D/Layer 18x DVD+-RW SATA
PSU - OCZ GameXstream 600w SLI PSU
RAM - OCZ Platinum 6400 EL XTC R2 DDR2 2Gb 4-4-4-15
GPU - Point Of View (POV) 8800GTS 500mhz 640Mb PCI-E
Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1Ch
Speakers - Creative 5.1 Speaker System Inspire T6060 5.1 channel

All inside the Antec Nine Hundred Case

No, you don't have to disable it. Actually, you may find a use for dual soundcards.

You can disable the thing in the BIOS (hopefully) and/or in Windows device manager.

It is not an absolute requirement. See what happens first, then be prepared to disable it if necessary. Some conflict. Most do not.

Well thanx guys, I wont bother disableing unless i get some sort of conflict. And there is as use for dual soundcards?

Of course. The most common one would be the ability to have different programs playing to different outputs. For example, you can play music to your home stereo system while all other OS, application and game sounds go to headphones or desktop speakes.

I always disable on-board audio when a PCI sound card is installed. I can't see any reason to have the on-board sound enabled in this configuration

I would......... but thats me...... I personally would sleep better knowin there wasn't another card in their to wreak havoc and ITS just a bios setting in most cases the worst move a jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back