Disabling services problems

giannantonio

i use my computer mainly for gaming so i want to disable almost al of the services

can you guys tell me which services are required for

Audio
Internet

because if i disable all of em then i cant hear sounds, and if i try to enable windows audio service, it says that i cant be started because other services are required in order to start the audio one

same thing with internet

by the way i use a ethernet cable, no wireless so i can disable the wireless ones, and i dont share my pc with any other pcs so i dont need the sharing services

so please tell me which are the services required in order to keep internet going and audio

open msconfig and go to services tab, check hide all microsoft services and click on disable all and click on apply and ok and restart the computer. Service for Audio is windows Audio service and for internet they are DHCP, com, dcom, tcp/ip and lot others.

There;s no simple answer to getting rid of all services you don't need (because what's "needed" is partly up to you and how you use your computer along with some services that you always need regardless)

1) Black viper's website mentioned in an earlier post is an excellent resource to start learning about and "playing with" service settings
2) I also recommend using an excellent tool Serviwin. To view all services and their startup type, dependencies, etc. Is a MUCH better interface than native Windows provides PLUS
you can save current service settings in text file SO you also have an easy way to know how things were set BEFORE you tried optimizing on your own
3) I also advise: use msconfig only for temporary control and testing. Cuz when you're done playing you want set msconfig back to normal startup and change settings/starup type by hand or using another tool Autoruns (you can google it)

There's work involved.. but you'll learn a lot if you want to explore your services and what's really needed

/* edit */
i suspect you also may want to learn what program startups aren't needed either. Pacman's portal is an excellent resource about startups including a tutorial on what to look for/controlling them

Back