Disappeared HDD in Device Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

i'm new to the board and like to send greetings to community and i hope someone can help me with a strange problem.

System: Windows 2000SP4
HDD: 2x SAMSUNG (IDE)
external HDD: SAMSUNG 250GB (S-ATA connected through USB)

It happens several weeks ago when i saved demos and stuff on my C: partition and copied/moved things to my external USB HDD.Suddenly first i got this \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0 storage error and a STOP error followed by a BSOD.Because of my full HDD i didn't thought about anything strange at first (thought about a buffer problem) so i restarted the system and replugged the external USB drive again and started all over.

The issue now is,that i can't install some new software because the reference path can not be found and in the first C: main HDD is not listed in the Device Manager anymore but is working normaly.In Disk Manager both HDD are listed.But this \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0 is entered as a drive name and the Adaptername is -UNKNOWN- for Drive 1 (C: and D: partitions)

What i already did:
- checked with MBR and Rootkit detection software for Rootkits.Everything okay.
- checked with GMER
Results:
Device -> \Driver\atapi \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 88F8E841
---- Files - GMER 1.0.15 ----
File C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\atapi.sys suspicious modification

Checked atapi.sys with online scanners and nothing found.
- cleaned the registry already
- uninstalled/reinstalled ATAPI/IDE drivers

Problem description:
The primary HDD is not listed in Device Manager but its listed in Disk Manager.When i reinstalled the IDE/ATAPI drivers the system scanned for devices but did not find the primary HDD.

Currently i'm stuck to track down this problem.Can someone help?

greetings
Gonzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back