Do I "have" to have SATA HD for this mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you could by an IDE card expansion card which will allow u to have more IDE sockets.

you could also get a cable with 3 IDE sockets on it and plug the CD Drive and the HDD on the same cable but this would cause primary drive problems and expansion problems.

I recommend the first solution.

hope this helps

James

yes you could do this. Please note that you may have to have the CD Drive in the lowest drive bay and the HDD in the TOP drive bay.

hope this helps

James

If you desire IDE hard drives (I don't know why at this stage unless you're salvaging parts), then get an IDE expansion card for a PCI slot.

SATA, not to mention faster, uses a smaller type of cable and doesn't follow the master or slave logic. Each drive will be connected to the motherboard/sata controller individually. The cords for sata are more flexible and they can be longer than IDE cables. Great for super tall cases.

There are usually 4 SATA headers (ports) on a mother board, so room for more sata drives in a case. If you really want to keep using that IDE hard disk, then get an IDE expansion card. If its really not that important, I really recommend getting a SATA hard drive and just using the CD drives on the IDE port.

If you want to move the old data onto the new drive, try getting a Hard Drive enclosure so you can connect it to one of your usb ports and access the data. Like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145133

...Or, once again you could just buy a card.:)

SATA has far more data than IDE. IDE theoretically caps out at 133 SATA is more than double that plus the cables are smaller and there is no slave/master relationship between drives. Each drive has it's own channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back