Do i need a video card/driver,or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

russfraz

Hi All,My pics look like cartoon charachters-i have been to everquest and have a readout of everything in my pc- i just need to know who manufacters my drivers,so i can go to their site-i don't want to try installing them myself,as i wouldn't know whether to uninstall the present ones first or not.Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks for your time.

well run sisoft sandra for all kinds of details on your system.
(www.guru3d.com)
probably you'll need to install a display driver, but it all depends on which OS you're running, which graphics card you have, and sometimes even which motherboard or brand model you have.

Anyway more system specs would help us help you alot

do i need graphics card/driver?

thanks for your reply-i'm running windows 98,IE 6.I went to everquest,i have the details about my system-only,i'm not sure where to look(in the details that i got from everquest)and certainly don't know how to uninstall/reinstall new drivers or a video card,as i'm not that computer savvy.I hope this info helps more,in order that you may be able to help me.Thanks again.

I ran a detaled report on everything in my system,i just don't know what to look for,as far as my graphics drivers and who the manufacturers are.since i'd rather go to their website and download,instead of trying to download/install myself.I'll need to be walked though this step-by-step.Thanks.Windows 98,IE 6

russfraz, you are saying everquest, do you mean Everest? If that's the program you are using, once you open it, go to Display/Windows Video, then look at "Device Description". That will tell you what vidio card you have. Then look at "Installed Drivers", that will tell you what driver version you have. You can look at the bottom of the page, and under "Driver Download", it will give you a link to where to download your newest set at.

If you are not using Everest, download Sisoft Sandra, as Lostfaith suggested, using his link. And look for pretty much the same thing.

You will have to download and install the drivers yourself. Just look on the page that you download the drivers from and there should be detailed instructions as to how to do it. In most cases that I know of, just go to your Add/Remove in My Computer/Control Panel, and uninstall your old drivers, reboot. Window may want to automatically install new ones, just cancel any popups boxes, and then double click on the file you donwloaded and follow the instructions. Be sure you have your virus scanner turned off when you are installing the new ones.

But as I said, be sure and read the instructions at the site you download from. It's not as hard as it sounds. Let us know how it goes.

What Video card do i have?

Windows 98,IE 6 I don't know what video card i have-where/how do i find this out?

Did you read the instructions I gave above? It tells you how to find you video card. If you are not using Everest, download Sisoft Sandra, as Lostfaith suggested, and post back here if you can't figure it out, and we will guide you through it.

Maybe this would be simpler to do. Right click on any open space on your desktop, then click "Properties", then "Settings", then, "Advanced", then "Adapter", then "Properties". There at the top of the page you will see you card type and maunfacturer. Now click on "Driver", and under "Driver Version", you will see your driver number.

I have everest,i checked everything,i think that i may have found my drivers.I downloaded nvidia3d stereo driver 30.87 for win98-i don't know (or recognize)my old drivers to uninstall,or the new one to install.i'll keep at it,though-i'm sure that i'll need your help again,though.Thanks again.

NO,NO,NO. You do not need the "3D Stereo Drivers". You haven't told us what card you have yet, but, I take it you have nVidia, so download this driver, for Windows 98.

Edit: If you found out what card and driver you have, why don't you post it here, we might be able to help you a little more. By the way, I don't know where you found those drivers at, but, although they are not what you need, they are very old.

As far as uninstalling the old drivers and reinstalling, the instructions I gave you a couple of posts above are correct, or you can look at the page I linked above. On the left side of the page is a link with the instructions. Here's a quote from them.

* Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.
* Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

still can't install driver

I have the link,but actually,i have two problems;I can't click on some websites,and my emails except yahoo.The link for the driver that you gave me i can't click-when i do,it does nothing.Until i resolve the unclickable link problem,i won't be able to go to the site and dl/install the driver!Any suggestions?

As far as this new problem, do you have a firewall and anti virrus protection? If not you need to get them. You can get Zone Alarm free, and AVG anti virrus, also free. You can do a google search for them.

The reason I ask is, that you might have picked up a trojan or virrus.

You might have some kind of spyware. Look at this and try and do what it says. At least do download the three items linked at the top of the page, Adaware and Spybot, and CoolWebSearch. Run these apps and let them quarantine/delete whatever they find.

Then on to HijackThis. If you understand all that is related to HijackThis, do what it says If not, run HijackThis, and post the log back here, and someone can look at it and tell you what to do.

And be sure and pay attention to the last lines of the instructions.

"Stop using IE, except for Windows-updates.
Get Firefox instead! from http://www.getfirefox.com"

Edit: Another link you might try for the drivers, is right here at TechSpot. Since you are able to get to this site, click this link and try and download the 66.94 drivers that are currently at the top of that page. Those should be the ones you need, if you can access the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back