Do you see what I see?

Archean

First thing to remember is that colour does not actually exist… at least not in any literal sense. Apples and fire engines are not red, the sky and sea are not blue, and no person is objectively "black" or "white".

What exists is light. Light is real.

Okay this is enough to confuse me for now ;)

This is what's behind making certain clothes good in hot weather: The sun, although appering as yellow, gives off white light, and wearing a white jacket that absorbs all color light except white light, thus is better keeping you cool because it reflects the sun's rays. A black jacket absorbs all light (because something that reflects no light, appears black), and thus will warm very quick in the sun.

Bit of a short artical Archean...but still an interesting subject :)

This is what's behind making certain clothes good in hot weather: The sun, although appering as yellow, gives off white light, and wearing a white jacket that absorbs all color light except white light, thus is better keeping you cool because it reflects the sun's rays. A black jacket absorbs all light (because something that reflects no light, appears black), and thus will warm very quick in the sun.

Bit of a short artical Archean...but still an interesting subject :)
Benny, conceptually, this could use a bit of a touch up.

First, "white light is all colors combined". Remember the prism experiment?

Second, the white jacket reflects all light, it doesn't absorb it.

Third, the black jacket does indeed, "absorb all light" . However, the full spectrum isn't mostly responsible for the heating, it's the infrared component, which is actually invisible, and at a longer wavelength than visible red. A filter designed to pass only infrared cannot be seen through with the human eye.

The sun's light both is and isn't actually white. Noon, June, Summer, daylight has a color temperature of about 5500 deg Kelvin. That's pretty white, but the color temp shifts during each day, and over the seasons due to atmospheric absorption. (Mostly toward the yellow red). But, both shade and the northern sky have very high relative color temperatures, because of all the blue. Because the light arrives through the atmosphere, it is transmitted and not emitted light, which reduces the presence of light spectrum other than blue.

So, "white" is a subjective term for light, and in large part depends on the quantity of blue component...:confused: In a very bright star, the entire spectrum shifts towards maximum energy at the blue end, but it appears "whiter" than the sun's light. Hence spectral balance affects the appearance of the white light, but color temp measurement mostly addresses itself to the blue component.

The paradox is this, a blue star is hotter that a yellow star, but despite the high blue content of shade, doesn't translate that way in practice. It's the whole transmitted light, far red missing thingy.

I party pooped the whole turtle thing, didn't I?

Not exactly captain you just administered a dose of reality.

By the way SNG, after reading your first post I had a close look at the picture, and to me it seemed like a fat dead person lying on his *** but anyhow ...... I'll give you that one. ;)

Benny, conceptually, this could use a bit of a touch up.

First, "white light is all colors combined". Remember the prism experiment?

Second, the white jacket reflects all light, it doesn't absorb it.

Third, the black jacket does indeed, "absorb all light" . However, the full spectrum isn't mostly responsible for the heating, it's the infrared component, which is actually invisible, and at a longer wavelength than visible red. A filter designed to pass only infrared cannot be seen through with the human eye.

The sun's light both is and isn't actually white. Noon, June, Summer, daylight has a color temperature of about 5500 deg Kelvin. That's pretty white, but the color temp shifts during each day, and over the seasons due to atmospheric absorption. (Mostly toward the yellow red). But, both shade and the northern sky have very high relative color temperatures, because of all the blue. Because the light arrives through the atmosphere, it is transmitted and not emitted light, which reduces the presence of light spectrum other than blue.

So, "white" is a subjective term for light, and in large part depends on the quantity of blue component...:confused: In a very bright star, the entire spectrum shifts towards maximum energy at the blue end, but it appears "whiter" than the sun's light. Hence spectral balance affects the appearance of the white light, but color temp measurement mostly addresses itself to the blue component.

The paradox is this, a blue star is hotter that a yellow star, but despite the high blue content of shade, doesn't translate that way in practice. It's the whole transmitted light, far red missing thingy.

I party pooped the whole turtle thing, didn't I?

On reflection, I did make a mistake with white light (pun intended). Although it's been awhile, I do remember the prism experiment.

I shall concede to your higher intellect ;)

Back