Does my FPS sound right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFiltrateG4

Hello everyone. First off let me state my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ running at 2.2ghz
A8n SLi Deluxe motherboard
2x 1gig Corsair CMX ddr 3200 (Running in dual channel)
ATi x1800xt
Creative Fatal1ty Pro soundcard
Thermaltake 600w psu
Western Digital 250gb Sata hdd
Windows XP Home ed.

And finally here is my concern. Lately I have noticed other people with similar computer hardware running WoW and other games at higher FPS. My avg FPS in WoW for example is 30 and others who have equal or lower end equipment get better frames than me. The format I am on now is clean, therefore no other programs running in the background for sure. Only the OS, drivers, and games are installed on this computer. i have been trying desparately to get my FPS to the max in WoW which is at a cap of 60fps when Vertsync is on and I haven't budged my fps at all. The methods I have tried to get my FPS up is overclocking the cpu, fsb, videocard, memory timings, and even switching from VGA to DVI connection from the PC to my monitor. Am I just freaking out over nothing and this is the actual potential of my rig? Please help me.

That ASUS board is very sensitive to memory.
Corsair makes a version that is called Value Ram. Corsair Value Ram does not work well in that board... often not at all. If the two modules are not a matched pair, the motherboard will work at the speed and timings of the slower module.
You might want to target the Western Digital 250 GB SATA (often slow), the ATI card (often a problem), or the Corsair memory...
You could consider using 1 GB per slot DDR PC3200 in matched sets of memory... as 2GB might not work nearly as well as the 4 GB maximum

raybay said:
Western Digital 250 GB SATA (often slow)
Compared to what? A raptor? Choose "World of Warcraft" from the pull down menu. It's in the middle of the pack and most of the 'top drives' are 10,000RPMs. This is not the best way to improve your WoW performance.
raybay said:
or the Corsair memory
In real life (and even benchmarks), memory latency makes extremely little difference. In fact, it might be one of the worst money-spent-to-increase-performance suggestions possible. This article sheds some light on the unnoticeable benefit of lower timings and increased bandwidth of premium RAM.
raybay said:
the ATI card (often a problem)
He has an X1800. We're talking bout World of Warcraft here. WoW will run on an ATI Radeon 9200 with 64MB of RAM acceptably... His video card is not the issue. VGA charts
for comparison.
as 2GB might not work nearly as well as the 4 GB maximum
WoW does not use 4GB of memory. I used to play WoW with 1GB, then I upgraded to 2GB. During play, I still had several hundred MBs free. 2GB is indeed the sweet spot, but adding more memory is always welcome... It just isn't going to help your WoW performance.

The weakest link in your system (as far as WoW is concerned) is your CPU. You have it overclocked, which should help considerably, but more MHz will make a difference here, I believe. Maybe you should consider turning down some detail options? Certain things like shadows and object detail complexity can make a huge impact. If you turn down options that rely on CPU power and it runs smoothly, then you know your issue is MHz. If you turn down textures and things the graphics card rely on, then you can be fairly sure the problem is drivers or graphics settings (Turning down 16x anti aliasing to 2x or off, for example, would make a huge difference).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back