Doom 3 Too Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi... my system config is Athlon XP 2600+ 512 Mb RAM and Asus Gforce FX 5200... Doom 3 is running so slow... is this normal?

Yes. The GeForceFX 5200 is not a decent gaming card. You can try to tweak Doom III but in the end you'll probably have to set the image quality to the lowest & probably use a resolution around 800x600 or even 640x480.

PS. Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

hi... first of all thanx for welcoming me to the forum and of course for the answer.
I'd read the system requeriments to play the game and there are listed some video cards with lower performace than mine, like Geforce 4 MX 64MB. i don't understand.

Geforce 4 MX 64 and GeforceFX 5200 are almost at the same class. These two cards are bare minimum requirements to run Doom 3. You cant really expect them run such a graphical intense game.

I've played Doom 3 on seven different systems now, the lowest of which being a AXP 2400+ with 1024mb ram and a GeForce 4 MX480, the most powerful of which being an AXP 3200+ with 1024mb ram and a Radeon 9800 pro.

Realistically, unless you have some of the very top-tier cards, such as the 9800 PRO/XT, the 5700 Ultra/5900/5950, et cetera, you are going to be sacrificing either framerate or quality, your choice!

The 5200 really is a crap card for 3D gaming. It holds no real advantage other than hardware DX9 support and improvements to a few things like pixel shading. You aren't going to get much out of that, especially in Doom 3. It will probably even be worse with Half Life 2.

i was actually having that same problem as well untill i upgraded my porcessor to a amd 64 3000+ but the werd thing is now it works all smooth and everything but just recently the grapgics started to screw up. for example when im running around the screen keeps flashing black and white and it makes it very hard to play, but its the the entire screen flashing at once but only curtain sections. as if there was something wrong with the texturing like i would walk by a room and like an entire wall will just start flashing blak and white or a control panel or something. its not my monitor or anything i dont think because when i press escape into the menu it works just fine like nothing is wrong, but the second i get back into the game it starts up again. can anyone help me with this problem. thx

What video settings are you using Chandler? My second PC has an XP1700 oc'd to 1833mhz and a 128mb Radeon 8500 and it plays Doom 3 great and High Quality 1024.

It's impossible with 9800 great.Because i'm using pentium 4 2.8 (c) 512 MB DD400 dual channel and geforce 6800.I can play the game with high quality
800x600 in win 2000 but not prefect FPS.I think it can be run at 20-30 FPS.
I want to play at leat 50-60 FPS how can i do?Don't tell me to reduce graphic
quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back