Download a new driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i went out and got half life 2."yay"
when i went to play it the steam thingy said i need to update my NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200. the problem is that i dont know how to dowload a driver update. i really want to play half life 2. pleeeez could sombody give me some advice.

Go to this page to find a new Driver;
http://nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
Select "Graphics Driver", "GeForce & TNT2", then your Operating System & press "Go!". Just select any of the Primary/Mirror Site links to download the new Driver. Once downloaded, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. There should be a listing for "NVIDIA Display Drivers" (Or similar), uninstall that & reboot when prompted. Once you load Windows again double click on the file you downloaded & follow the instructions to install it.

You didn't say what operating system you have, but go here, and choose which one you need. The 66.94 is for Windows 98/ME and the 67.22 is for Windows XP. Download/save the correct one to your desktop.

Then go to Control Panel, Add or Remove. There, look for "NVIDIA drivers". Click on this and uninstall. You will have to reboot. After reboot, choose "cancel" for any popups that come up. Then shut down your virus scanner, (it might interfere with the install), click on the driver download on your desktop and do what it says. You will have to reboot again after it's finished.

After reboot, you will have to reset your resolution, and whatever other settings video settings you want. That's it.

Edit: Guess I was to slow, as you guys beat me to it. Unfortunately, if there is a delete option, I sure can't see it, probably blind though.

thanks. hopefully i will do the right things and will be playing half-life 2 soon. ;-)

THANK YOU AND MERRY CHRISTMAS

nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 64mb

:confused: I have exactly the same card and have had a few problems with Half-Life2.
With my old driver loaded (42.32) the game ran but kept crashing, so I updated to 66.93 (the latest for Windows XP on the nvidia site) which ran the game fine but would not switch resolution to below 1240x760, which of course meant that lots of my slightly older games wouldn't run.
I thought this might be down to me being unable to remove the original driver - I go to - control panel - add/remove software take out the nvidia driver and reboot, but it seems to get rediscovered.
I am also now wondering if I have the GeForce4 Ti 4200 chipset and not the original card - any ideas or suggestions would be extremely welcome. :confused:

DirectX9.?

My brother had a similar problem with an Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4800. His card, and probably yours too, did not support DirectX 9. It's a hardware issue. The chipset on the video card was created before DX9 and doesn't work well with it. Not to say that any card made prior to DX9 won't work with DX9 because most do, but this chipset seems to have a problem. Probably the only way to resolve this is to buy a new card. Check the specs on your card, they probably show support for DX8. Be sure to check the specs before buying, just to make sure, as there are still plenty of DX9 non supportive cards for sale. Good luck...

Dx9

Thanks for the thought, thing is I've been playing stuff like Unreal Tournament 2004 and Medal of Honour with the same setup along with Directx 9b and 9c with no problems. My machine is a Sony desktop Vaio and I'm wondering if the card is not a true nvidia one but a Sonyised version.

Driver update...

And as far as updating the driver. Windows XP has a lot of drivers in it's data base and it sounds like it is detecting new hardware, like it's suppose to, and installing drivers automatically. Upon reboot, if it says anything about new hardware found and pops up an installation "wizard", cancel out of it and then run the downloaded exe. to update the driver. If it doesn't do any of the found new hardware stuff, just run the downloaded driver exe. and check your display adapter in the device manager after rebooting to see if it took the update. The installer program should overwrite the existing files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back