Dr. Disrespect might sue Twitch over unexplained ban

midian182

Staff member
Recap: It's been three weeks since Guy 'Dr. Disrespect' Beahm, one of the most prominent streaming personalities in the world, was unceremoniously kicked off Twitch just three months after signing an exclusivity contract. In one of his first interviews since the incident, Beahm says he's considering suing the platform, which still hasn't revealed why he was banned.

In an interview with PC Gamer, Beahm confirmed that he wouldn't be returning to Twitch, but fans will see him streaming again in the future. "Obviously, for legal counsel, I have to be careful here. But I can say, however, that I will not be returning to Twitch, so, I mean, that's it."

While Beahm isn't interested in signing an exclusivity deal as he did with Twitch, he might end up streaming independently through Facebook, YouTube, or his own championsclub.gg website.

With so much mystery surrounding Beahm's sudden departure from Twitch, some have suggested it could be related to criminal or inappropriate behavior, which he calls "crazy speculation." When asked if it was the result of someone accusing him of sexual assault/abuse/harassment, Beahm said: "I'm just not interested in engaging that type of stuff." He's also considering taking legal action against Twitch.

Beahm says he still hasn't been given a reason for the ban and doesn't know when Twitch might explain the reason. PC Gamer questions whether it might be related to his controversial thoughts on the coronavirus and 5G networks, but he said that wasn’t the case, adding that no formal warnings or reprimands were issued before the ban.

Exactly when Beahm streams again as his Dr Disrespect persona is unknown, and it could be even longer before we discover the real reason why Twitch booted him.

Permalink to story.

Dr Disrespect is no stranger to controversy having been suspended from Twitch in 2019 after broadcasting live on the site from inside public toilets. He's also been criticised in the past for his characterisation of Chinese accents, some claiming it was racist, something he strongly denied.

If Twitch can even bring a single violation of their Terms of Service forward, his ban will absolutely be upheld and his lawsuit can be tossed out.

What so many people either don't understand or don't want to abide by is that the TOS is a contract and it's extremely easy to breech when you get into issues of "free speech" - which absolutely isn't free when you're using a private company's social media service.

at the end of the day, he can't force Twitch to tolerate him.

His only option is to either join another service or to start his own.

Last edited:
Dr Disrespect is no stranger to controversy having been suspended from Twitch in 2019 after broadcasting live on the site from inside public toilets. He's also been criticised in the past for his characterisation of Chinese accents, some claiming it was racist, something he strongly denied.

If Twitch can even bring a single violation of their Terms of Service forward, his ban will absolutely be upheld and his lawsuit can be tossed out.

What so many people either don't understand or don't want to abide by is that the TOS is a contract and it's extremely easy to breech when you get into issues of "free speech" - which absolutely isn't free when you're using a private company's social media service.

True enough that a violation can be used as easy justification. But when you suspend someone and then reinstate them for best part of a year, it's difficult to go back and argue that permanent ban happened because of a violation you already punished a year prior! Especially when they gave him a contract AFTER all those incidents.

That's what would easily be argued in court.

If you throw into the mix the complex contractual situation it goes far beyond twitch just tossing a nobody streamer out on their ear. He was an exclusively contracted entertainer tied to the company. There will be ramifications.

My guess would be that he got banned over something he said or did, maybe even privately outside of Twitch. You see, Twitch like other similar platforms ultimately wants to have power over people so they can police their opinions and thoughts. They hire these deranged people for the sake of being progressive and these mentally ill people then play the judge and the jury to make people who depend on Twitch miserable. Their ToS is vague specifically for that reason.

Good, hope he's gone for good. I dont understand people who enjoy streamers to a point of throwing hundreds of thousands of $$$ at then. Stop worshiping these people, they are literally every day people that play video games just like you. They are not special and they dont benefit society in any way.

True enough that a violation can be used as easy justification. But when you suspend someone and then reinstate them for best part of a year, it's difficult to go back and argue that permanent ban happened because of a violation you already punished a year prior! Especially when they gave him a contract AFTER all those incidents.

That's what would easily be argued in court.

If you throw into the mix the complex contractual situation it goes far beyond twitch just tossing a nobody streamer out on their ear. He was an exclusively contracted entertainer tied to the company. There will be ramifications.

Chances are, he violated the contract. These companies know exactly what they are doing.

Guy 'Dr. Disrespect' Beahm hmmmm let me see, nope never heard of her first off never trust anyone that hides their eyes,she also needs to shave her mustache and find a new hair dresser looks like CRAP, OOPS! my bag it's a guy having a bad hair day covering his eyes so all his viewers can't see how high on crack he is

Perhaps he just was too disrespectful? This isn't his first suspension. And definitely won't be his last.
Is he really a doctor? Rumors go, he got busted with his fake doctors degree and twitch isn't the only place he got kicked out of. Also that his recent Twitch suspension was triggered by getting busted with disrespectful charity and viewers reported him for that. Never know.

Good, hope he's gone for good. I dont understand people who enjoy streamers to a point of throwing hundreds of thousands of $$$ at then. Stop worshiping these people, they are literally every day people that play video games just like you. They are not special and they dont benefit society in any way.
I hope you apply this to other celebrities in other categories of media...

Oh yeah ..... www.Disrespect.com or maybe .notcalm ......

Nobody is disputing that TwitchTV, as a private company, has a right to permaban him if he breached their TOS. It's the lack of ethical conduct in permabanning him and not telling him why it was done. That's below the belt. He can't defend himself against reasons for the ban that were not divulged to him. Now it's left to speculation and attention *****s who say things like "Oh, I know why he got banned but can't tell you why...".

Benefiting society, Definitely not, benefiting many individuals, definitely yes. I agree with the extraordinary donations though.

He having contact that we are not knowing details of. It may not being that simple. There is more involve than just general user TOS. it may not being clear if twitch can just cancel contact for cause unknown to us. Big company is not always right. I am not knowing or assuming who is right.

I think I got the gist of what you were saying when I was deciphering your comment, but the reality is, a violation of TOS is a breech of contract and it absolutely is enough to terminate a subscriber over - even if they are a partner.

What's MISSING is a union for social media partners.

Nobody is disputing that TwitchTV, as a private company, has a right to permaban him if he breached their TOS. It's the lack of ethical conduct in permabanning him and not telling him why it was done. That's below the belt. He can't defend himself against reasons for the ban that were not divulged to him. Now it's left to speculation and attention *****s who say things like "Oh, I know why he got banned but can't tell you why...".
Do you honestly believe he doesn't know? He 100% knows why he was banned. His lawyers told him to not talk about it (he would lose any arbitration if he talks).

He wasn't just a simple partner with a popular stream, he had a huge exclusivity contract with Twitch.

What people don't seem to know is that Dr. Disrespect is represented by Creative Artists Agency that handles big name entertainers (Seth MacFarlane, Simon Cowell).

You don't just blindly perma ban someone who has a multi million dollar contract with you and proper legal representation (something most big streamers don't have).

My guess would be that he got banned over something he said or did, maybe even privately outside of Twitch. You see, Twitch like other similar platforms ultimately wants to have power over people so they can police their opinions and thoughts. They hire these deranged people for the sake of being progressive and these mentally ill people then play the judge and the jury to make people who depend on Twitch miserable. Their ToS is vague specifically for that reason.

The window on opinions like these is closing. It's gonna be beautiful.

A couple of things. Not specifying why - they are reaching for a reason or they don't have one comes into play too. Sure they can kick someone off for any reason. That's not the real issue here. IF THEY DID, the public can KICK THEIR *** for it. And we will. Serious F Twitch if they have been pricks about this.

There are MANY people who did not follow Doc before but suddenly interested in his fight.

A couple of things. Not specifying why - they are reaching for a reason or they don't have one comes into play too. Sure they can kick someone off for any reason. That's not the real issue here. IF THEY DID, the public can KICK THEIR *** for it. And we will. Serious F Twitch if they have been pricks about this.

There are MANY people who did not follow Doc before but suddenly interested in his fight.

That's called THE FREE MARKET.

There are plenty of people who may threaten to cancel their Twitch subscription.

There are plenty of people who won't.

The corporations have already done the math.

Remember when Kaepernick's knee led to the right wingers to "boycott Nike"?

How'd that go? Nike is doing better now than then. Their shares went from $70 to $100.

Look at the select few Trumpers who think they can threaten Walmart into Boycotting because of Facemask policy.

YEAH: like Walmart's going to bend to a handful of people spending less than $100 a month on groceries. LOL. NOPE.

If contract is saying TOS must be follow and he did not then you are right. but TOS violation does not void other contract unless TOS are a term of that contract. They may have to pay him on contract even if they choosing not to broadcast his content and disable his account. but
You are only assume TOS was violated and also having no knowledge of contact in question.

I think I got the gist of what you were saying when I was deciphering your comment, but the reality is, a violation of TOS is a breech of contract and it absolutely is enough to terminate a subscriber over - even if they are a partner.

What's MISSING is a union for social media partners.

Back