Dual core only using 1 platter of the CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys.
im once again coming to u as a last resort.

i have an acer aspire m1610 everything inside is stock except ram and vid card.
the CPU is a intell pentium dual cpu e2140 @ 1.6 Ghz.

the problem i have is with a piece music production software, it will only use 1 side of my CPU, i have confirmed this by going into task manager and watch the 2 graphs only the left one changes the right one stay at around 5-10%, this is a problem because my program gets to a point where the PC cant handle it and the program just stops.

i have looked up a few things, the only thing i found was a windows update that i tried and it told me i didnt need it because i have SP3.

any help at all would be much appreciated

thanks jayson

Buy a better CPU like the E7400 or E8400, or overclock your current CPU. Beyond that, I can't think of anything else.

Judging by what you're saying, it's the software at fault, not the computer.

Do other programs you use light up both cores correctly? Nero and Photoshop or Photoshop Elements will utilize all of a dual core CPU. Do you have either one of these programs? How about your AV scanner?

The multi-core update from M$, I only believe affected certain AMD dual core processors. As long as you have the dual graphs, then the system is aware of, and can use both cores.

If all else fails, you should try installing your software on a higher performance machine. Let's see what happens there.

Most software is not designed to utilize more the one core at a time. This is not an OS or PC issue it is the software itself. If the software is making your computer lag, then you could try overclocking or getting a better processor. If it is actually crashing then you are going to want to check into tech support for that piece of software as that doesn't sound like a CPU utilization issue.

What is the software manufacturer claiming it the minimum requirements for running this piece of software in the first place?

If this is a downloaded or cracked version of the product, it could possibly be infected.

I'll probably hear some flack for this, but music production software shouldn't really be all that hard to run. Software that stuffs up a PC is usually HD video software in a project the requires video rendering.

The info I was able to obtain on the Acer model you mention, claims that it carries a Pentium Dual Core E2180, perhaps they were sold in multiple configurations.

Hey guys. thanks for your replys

the program is a cracked program but my mate has the exact same crack key and patch and he has no problems running the program on a oldskool p4D.

i did get the programm to use both sides of the CPU at once stage after running a program called HOT CPU. but now its back to normal.

Windows:
Windows XP SP2, Vista or Windows 7
Processor: Intel P4 / AMD Athlon XP or better
Memory: 512 MB RAM minimum, 1 GB recommended
Screen resolution: 1024x768
2 GB free hard disk space
DVD reader
16-bit windows compatible audio card, preferably with DirectX or ASIO drivers
Recommended: MIDI keyboard with built-in MIDI interface, or MIDI keyboard and MIDI interface.

that is all system requirements for the programm (propellorhead reason 4.0)

To put it into prespective i Play World of Warcraft and that uses twice the amount of my CPU and uses all of the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back