Duplicate Multimedia Devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixie

Hello, I have an ongoing problem when looking in the device manager I am showing a yellow question mark by my OTHER DEVICES. Then upon clicking it show similar marks on the MUTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER and the MULTIMEDIA CONTROLLER. Both show no drivers install and cannot be installed. I've tried uninstalling and it always comes back.

I'm using a Dell 8300, running XP and have an Audigy 2 sound card which is doing a great job, but it is listed in the device manager under SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS.

The computer is generally fast but not nearly as fast as it once was, and it's slow to boot up. I am running McAfee too.

This is about the biggest problem I have going right now but there are a few lessser issues I hope I can get some help solving after this one.

Also have just installed and run Registry Patrol v3.0 and it has helped speed up things a little.
Thanks
Dixie

Go into your Dell's bios and disable the on-board audio device, if you have one... This may be where the yellow asterisks are coming from

I've been into the setup at the initial boot by pressing f2 or f12 and under the devices I disabled the pc speaker, which I hope is what you are talking about. Unfotunately it had no effect.

?

Lets start here and name the devices.EG Radion 6000
Does your audio and video work ok.
Do a dxdiag for Display and Sound tests.
What ver of dxdiag do you have ?
You don't disable pc speaker,You disable internal audio and video in the bios only if you
have a pci sound card,ano/or AGP video card.
Please name your source of audio and video.
Product names like Audigy 2 or ATI 6000.

Ok, thanks for your help!
It is Audigy 2
Audio and Video works, windows media player has been quirky to the point I wanted to remove it, but it's working ok now.
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
So do I re-enable the pc speaker? (it didn't appear to make a difference)
AGP Video Card (I think)
Sorry, I don't understand the (source of audio and video)
Really appreciate your help!

Dixie said:
I've been into the setup at the initial boot by pressing f2 or f12 and under the devices I disabled the pc speaker, which I hope is what you are talking about. Unfotunately it had no effect.

The PC speaker is an audio device, but it's not what I am talking about. Go ahead and enable it. Do you have another mic or speaker connection, other than on the Audigy 2 card... on the back of your PC, by the printer port or USB ports? If you do, that is on-board audio, and this is what you need to disable. It may be listed in the bios under "Integrated Pheripherials"

Dixie said:
Ok, thanks for your help!
It is Audigy 2
Audio and Video works, windows media player has been quirky to the point I wanted to remove it, but it's working ok now.
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
So do I re-enable the pc speaker? (it didn't appear to make a difference)
AGP Video Card (I think)
Sorry, I don't understand the (source of audio and video)
Really appreciate your help!
I mean is it part of the motherboard or plug and play PCI or AGP card that
has to be plugged into a mbd slot.
You say you have video.
Right click the desktop,select propertys.
Then click the Settings tab,last on right,
then click advanced then adaptor.
This will name your video,like mine.
ATI etc.
What are your setting allowed ?
What is it named ?
While your there see if YOUR Monitor is named
Or what is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back