DVD burning DVD+ but not DVD-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been burning DVDs using a SONY VAIO model PCV-RZ24G, NERO and DVD shrink. I've had very few problems using Verbatim DVD+R. I started trying Verbatim DVD-R to play on my TV/DVD combo. After encoding with DVD shrink, I put the DVD-R in and it looks like it's going to burn, then fails. I also tried Memorex DVD-R with the same result. After the DVD-R failed both times, I tried it a third time using DVD+R and it burns with no problem. I also tried to copy my DVD+R movie to a DVD-R using NERO and it also failed that way. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Perhaps your burner isn't compatible with the -R format. I have a Dell with an NEC +RW burner that won't read or write to -R or -RW. Most new DVD burners are compatible with both formats these days but that, evidently, was not always the case.

Thanks for your quick reply mailpup. The label on the computer says it will burn DVD+ and DVD-. I called SONY and they also said it should.

even though a drive is listed as DVD+R and DVD-R, most burners still tend to be a bit picky about which format and even which brand of media they prefer. you could check to see if there is a firmware update for your burner from sony. but the best advice is to stick with DVD+R and use Verbatim, Maxell, or Taiyo Yuden media. avoid Memorex, generic,or house brands like the plague.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back