Netflix is giving customers extra discs as its DVD-by-mail service nears end, reveals...

midian182

Staff member
Recap: Next month will mark the end of an era for Netflix. The streaming giant that began life as a DVD-by-mail subscription company is killing off the famed red envelopes, and to say thanks to customers, it is sending them up to 10 extra discs.

Netflix launched its streaming service in 2007. But it had been offering DVDs by mail since 1997, the year it was founded, offering the public an alternative to going to the local video rental store. The very first DVD it sent out was Tim Burton's Beetlejuice, marking the beginning of the end for stores like Blockbuster.

In April, Netflix announced that after 25 years, it will send out the last red envelope. Collider reports that those who still use the service – yes, there are some – have been offered the chance to receive a few extra mystery discs in the mail – up to ten.

"Let's have some fun for our finale!" states an email sent to customers. "You won't know if any extra envelopes are headed your way until they arrive in your mailbox!"

The fun part refers to customers not knowing how many DVDs will arrive until the red envelopes are in their hands. Participants (US only) are required to opt in before August 29th if they want to take part. There's also a warning about limited quantities and the offer only being valid while supplies last.

Netflix says in its FAQs that it will continue to accept DVD returns up until October 27, 2023. However, there's confusion among customers about what to do with the discs as Netflix doesn't specifically state that they must be returned.

There are plenty of customers on Reddit who say they intend to keep the DVDs as Netflix appears to be implying such action would be okay. It's also been speculated that letting customers have them could be an easy way for the company to offload thousands of discs.

However, a Netflix spokesperson confirmed to NPR that it is expecting customers to send the DVDs back, and plans to release more details as the end date draws closer.

A lawyer weighed in on the issue, explaining that Netflix is not in a position to freely distribute the DVDs even if it wished to. This stems from the agreements with filmmakers and intellectual property rights owners: the company is granted a license, which is then sub-licensed to its subscribers. Therefore, Netflix is unable to transfer ownership of the DVDs, as it does not hold ownership rights itself.

Permalink to story.

Well after 26 years I think your too late now.
Not too late, just unfortunate that things are more and more rapidly progressing this way and most people are too dumb to realize this isn't in their best interest.

I've purchased many, many, many DVD/Blu-Rays over the years (I avoided Blu-Ray and HD DVD back in the day because I wasn't sure which was going to come out on top). I continue to buy movies/shows that I like on disc so I have them.

My favorite thing to do in the "good old days" was hit up Blockbuster a couple times a month just to browse their used DVD selection. You'd pick up more recent movies at 2 for $20 or a bit older selection of movies at 3 for $20. I amassed hundreds and hundreds of movies this way.

Today I'm sitting on 1200+ DVD/Blu-ray movies, along with 30+ complete TV series. They're all in storage and I add more and more every month when I can. I take the movies, rip and transcode them to my plex server. Should something happen, such as a catastrophic failure of my server - which would suck - or some kind of apocalyptic event that renders the internet kaput, I'd still have physical copies of my movies/shows that I could watch on my DVD/Bluray players (got 3 of them, not counting my PS3 and my PC with two blu-ray drives) to play movies. Heck, I still have a functional VCR and about 5 dozen VHS movies if I really wanted to watch them.....makes me wonder if they're still good after being in storage for 15+ years since I last used them.

Digital, you don't get to own. You're reliant on the digital platform to being able to provide you access to shows you gave them money for. Unfortunately this can change at any given time because of contracts, licensing agreements, loss of IP or closure of a digital platform. I stopped purchasing games from any digital platform that is not GoG. GoG allows me to download the game files and store on my end and then I can install the game anytime I want and I'm not required to have internet access to launch and play the game - like you are required for all other digital platforms such as Blizzard/Activision, Steam, EA and so on.

I miss the days of PC physical copies where you weren't restricted and you could install the game whenever you wanted. I still have a good hundred+ physical copies of PC games, too.

I know I'm in the minority of this, but digital sucks a.s.s. and I'd love to have physical media make a come back.

I'm in my 40's, and I don't think you have to explain to my how life is changing into a subscription. I'd fully agree with you, but frankly more and more people are opting for services on where they don't seem to understand the consequences and what will lead to for everyone in the future.

"Let's have some fun for our finale!" states an email sent to customers. "You won't know if any extra envelopes are headed your way until they arrive in your mailbox!"
That is a fun way to call it a day with a service! Nice!

Interesting. I do like me some physical media. I hate the digital crap.
Same here. For me, it's physical media or nothing. The only streaming I allow in my home is Youtube. Nothing else. Disney and everyone else, including Netflix, can go slop runny doggy doop.
and most people are too dumb to realize this isn't in their best interest.
Exactly! People just aren't paying attention to what is important.

I'm in my 40's, and I don't think you have to explain to my how life is changing into a subscription.
It doesn't have to. Choose something else.
I'd fully agree with you, but frankly more and more people are opting for services on where they don't seem to understand the consequences and what will lead to for everyone in the future.
That doesn't mean you have to join them..

Physical media still has its advantages. No waiting for buffering and no interference and no worries about malware online. A good dvd is very fast also, you just put it in and no worries about internet traffic and you don't even need a computer. You can get a good used dvd player in any thrift shop and find all kinds of movie, video and cd bargains at a next to nothing price. Vinyl records were almost gone but made a kind of comeback. DVDs still persist to this day.

Back