EA acquires Doom 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidosmosis

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., April 1, 2004 -- Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS), the world's leading interactive entertainment software company today announced the completion of negotiations with id Software, ending month long talks over the acquisition of the multi-million dollar DOOM® brand and all associated technologies.

First released in 1993, Doom is widely recognized as the catalyst for the first-person action genre. Since its inception, the franchise has been one of the industry’s best-selling PC series.

"We couldn't be happier" said Mark Kelly, EA Senior Vice President and General Manager. "This is a very important move for us, Doom® 3 is one of the most anticipated releases of the year on any format - its acquisition will allow us to penetrate into more traditional areas of the PC entertainment market".

This agreement reinforces EA's commitment to bring quality interactive entertainment to the broadest possible audience "it will now be possible for us to re-write and scale back the existing technology to better suit a more general audience, allowing it to run on the greatest number of platforms" said John Spinner, President and Chief Operating Officer at Electronic Arts "we will now release on Playstation®2, with ports on PC, Xbox® and Gamecube™ to follow shortly thereafter".

I believe this is an April Fool's joke. I can't confirm that yet though. :p

I agree....especially if you look at the post date and realize that California's not even awake right now. LOL

I don’t know about the rest of you but I prefer to play an FPS with a mouse & keyboard and my very own monitor and I also prefer to use my PC to play games online, & I have an Xbox. If this is true it could be very interesting to see what happens;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back