Early Xbox One X benchmarks hit the Internet

Shawn Knight

Staff member

With six teraflops of GPU processing power and a custom octa-core AMD CPU, Microsoft’s Xbox One X will be the most powerful game console to ever hit the market when it launches on November 7.

The Redmond-based company has previously said that all games they are launching in the Xbox One X time frame will run natively at 4K. While some titles were showcased at E3 last month, questions still remain as it pertains to the system’s raw gaming potential.

Now thanks to Digital Foundry, we’ve got a bit more insight into what the Xbox One X will be capable of… well, sort of.

As explained by Richard Leadbetter in the video above, Microsoft didn’t provide them with the numbers shown here. Instead, Digital Foundry sourced the data from developer contacts (and verified them) before publishing.

Although the games benchmarked here aren’t named, Leadbetter is able to make some educated guesses on what is what based on metrics like engine type, genre, target resolution and so on.

It’s worth noting that the titles shown in the video are early ports that haven’t been optimized for the Scorpio engine. As such, performance is likely to improve a bit before launch.

Those interested in digging deeper should certainly check out Leadbetter's full write-up over on Digital Foundry.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

I don't see the appeal to 4k gaming on a console... Just focus on getting 60 fps on 1080p - 1440p.
Easy to say when the cpu is still most likely a bottleneck in some cases. For the casuals, 4K is a marketing gimmick they understand much faster than 60fps. The Pro and X are made to appeal to the mass and sell, not provide the best experience.

I don't see the appeal to 4k gaming on a console... Just focus on getting 60 fps on 1080p - 1440p.

They aren't using AMD's zen architecture so I'm guessing they are marketing the higher resolution because they simply don't have to CPU power to push higher FPS.

What I'm surprised about is that consoles still don't utilize a lot of heterogeneous features. You'd think they would be wise to push more work onto the GPU but when you have a low IPC CPU to begin with I guess everything becomes harder.

To me these gaming consoles are merging to PC. Similar architecture and similar software. They might as well call it the MS 10box S.

They aren't using AMD's zen architecture so I'm guessing they are marketing the higher resolution because they simply don't have to CPU power to push higher FPS.

What I'm surprised about is that consoles still don't utilize a lot of heterogeneous features. You'd think they would be wise to push more work onto the GPU but when you have a low IPC CPU to begin with I guess everything becomes harder.

Most likely that 4K is 2017's fad. Just like 3D televisions were the fad 5-6 years ago. Don't get me wrong it looks nice....up close. But for everyone else it's pointless. Especially given the fact that the signal you get from sources like Netflix in reality is compressed garbage (EDIT: My Apologies my Signal Throughput shows as 5.3-6.1 Mbit/s through my Roku box, NOT the 2.35 I reported before.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Most likely that 4K is 2017's fad. Just like 3D televisions were the fad 5-6 years ago. Don't get me wrong it looks nice....up close. But for everyone else it's pointless. Especially given the fact that the signal you get from sources like Netflix in reality is compressed garbage (My Roku box reports a whopping 2.35 Mbit/s from Netflix 1080p)
so basically "1080p ought to be enough for anybody"

lolno. 4k + HDR is a fantastic experience, and id take it over 60 FPS any day except in games like CS:GO and maybe driving simulators (some of which manage all three)

Most likely that 4K is 2017's fad. Just like 3D televisions were the fad 5-6 years ago. Don't get me wrong it looks nice....up close. But for everyone else it's pointless. Especially given the fact that the signal you get from sources like Netflix in reality is compressed garbage (My Roku box reports a whopping 2.35 Mbit/s from Netflix 1080p)

I don't think its a fad. 4K is really nice especially with a proper HDR. The problems are the limited source of 4k signals/contents, inefficient compression, and for gaming - expensive 4k 60fps videocards.

3D in TV was a fad. 3D in cinemas were great.

I don't think its a fad. 4K is really nice especially with a proper HDR. The problems are the limited source of 4k signals/contents, inefficient compression, and for gaming - expensive 4k 60fps videocards.

Exactly. Fads like the 3D TV come and go because of novelty. There is nothing novel about 4K (or even 8K). The problem is price and availability (content/hardware).

4K is about two to three years away from being a common high-end format.

I should clarify I have nothing against 4K viewing. If I were using a desktop computer where I'm sitting directly in front of the monitor about 1-2 ft away then yes I'd definitely say 4K is useful. I'd even go so far as to say a curved monitor is useful (speaking of fads), but when it comes to people watching tv in there living rooms where they're sitting 6-10 ft away from the television then the benefits of both 4K and curved monitors quickly disappear. The industry as a whole will always try and push something onto consumers to make them want to buy something new, hence all of the features pushed onto televisions every year.

If you think about it, we never even truly scratched the surface of 1080p. Its like an uphill struggle. Games get more and more detailed and advanced and we keep making CPU's and GPU's more powerful to keep up, but usually the best we can do is 1080p at a solid 60fps on newer more advanced titles. Once you get to higher resolutions, graphics card can begin to struggle on some games. And these are PC's we're talking about, not consoles.

All I'm saying is there's nothing wrong with offering consumers all the technology and luxury 4K is getting, on a 1080p screen. (Sorry long post)

so basically "1080p ought to be enough for anybody"

lolno. 4k + HDR is a fantastic experience, and id take it over 60 FPS any day except in games like CS:GO and maybe driving simulators (some of which manage all three)

So little content can actually take advantage of 4K and HDR right now it isn't worth it. Without supported content, 4K can make certain content look better while older content will look worse.

The native 4k is a marketing gimmick even the term isn't accurate as it's really 2k compared to 1080p. As for the custom AMD CPU it's an ancient, in PC tech years, Jaguar chip; aka tablet CPU. Looks like the console woodchuck stated four more years of quad core CPUs, sorry AMD fan boyz.

Last edited:
The native 4k is a marketing gimmick even the term isn't accurate as it's really 2k compared to 1080p. As for the custom AMD CPU it's an ancient, in PC tech years, Jaguar chip; aka tablet CPU. Looks like the console woodchuck stated four more years of quad core CPUs, sorry AMD fan boyz.

I mean technically the 4k is just referring to the horizontal resolution this time around instead of the usual vertical. I guess saying 4K is better marketing than 2160p.

both xbox and PS use jaguar EIGHT core cpus.

either you know what 2160p/4k is or you dont, everyone who knows what it is knows its 4 times the pixels as 1080p, and everyone else just knows it looks much better. the name for it matters to few people.

4k is a marketing fad in that I know people with 1080p television who got their kids an XBOX One S because of the 4k, when they already had the original. It a buzz word that sells in 2017.

Back