Ebook reading device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your reply Howard, but I should have explained clearly, what I am looking for is a hardware device. If anyone can recommend a piece of hardware that really does the job efficiently, I would appreciate the feedback

ebook devices

Thank you Howard, we're getting closer, I've seen that site and it is the sort of thing I'm looking for. What I am hoping is for people who own any of these devices to post a message regarding the pro's and cons of thier particular device

well for starters, those are kinda old by now (i think) and tech has moved on.. have you heard of Ipaqs? blackberrys? O2's (and their mini counterparts)? palms? most are famous and they do much more than let you read ebooks.. you can get one of those but you can get much better ones... they are like organisers or called these days Personal Digital Assistant.. and as its as it says - lets you jot down notes (typed/handwriten), calander details, play (to a degree) games, draw stuff (you'll love the touchscreen =) ), mini media/mp3 player, communicate with a pc and some will even allow you to go to the internet.. and have something like a mini version of windows or linux shoved into a device the size of a fat tv remote control with a screen 10cm x 7cm (oh yeh that reminds me.. some have universal remote controler program as well :D)..

in terms of PDAs
a good one, setting yourself about the $100-300 mark (working in $AUD) will probably get you a Palm-whatever-model (or a cheap pocket pc). lets you do the basic: organising, note taking, basic internet thing, and transfer between pcs and the ebook thing as well as some variety of files...

$300-600+ will get you all of the above plus more features, like for example, more memory to shove things on (so you can have more ebooks :giddy: ), expansion slots, better batteries, bluetooth/wifi lan, security, some have a mobile phone type of thing as well, you get the jist.. you pay what you get.

i did previously own a Hp Ipaq 2210 that was a great help during school and abit of uni (especialy when class starts to become abit boring at times.. SOLITARE!!!! :D jks) as well as legit study work of course hehe.. and it was great.. writing got used to it, battery last you for the day and maybe longer.. kept me updated etc etc etc..
i had the word "previously" there for one reason, in which (unlucky me) happened to leave my protective, padded aluminium case at home (never, never do that!!) and dropped it down a stair - metal stairs.. [if it was carpet, it would survive..) so yeh.. thats probably the only con i had.. apart from the small screen for surfing the internet, but i rarely used that..

and since it was a coupel of months post-warrenty, it sits on my desk as an expensive paperweight to remind me never to drop things and leave their cases at home..

but really.. pros and cons really depend on what type and model and device you're refering to..

ebook devices

Thanks for your input N3051M, I have been looking at PDA's but I am not sure that the screen size is compatable with long sessions of reading, on holiday etc. I have heard that Sony are bringing out a dedicated ebook reading device but it is only available in the U.S. for the time being. It is also priced far too high for what is does. I might have to settle for a second hand Palm. Or wait a year or more. A course of action not recommended at my age

well you can get screen size that are bigger or smaller depending on what thing you'd end up with mine was 7cmx5.5cm or 320x240 pixels landscape mode, and text size and screen brightness/contrast can be tweaked to your liking, just like how you'd do it with a normal pc..

i'd reckon dont bother with the ebook device, because, as you said, it is quite expensive to do just hte one thing, unless it does it well (which for reading some words on a screen doesnt seem to make much sense unless it has some sort of crazy new feature...) as you could get a palm for much much cheaper and will last you for ages as well as being able to do other stuff..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back