Elon Musk's boring operation digs its first segment of tunnel beneath LA

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Tech entrepreneur Elon Musk recently revealed on Twitter that Godot, the name of the digging machine used by his tunnel boring operation, has completed its first segment of tunnel beneath Los Angeles.

Although Musk didn’t specify the exact location and length of the first tunnel, one can deduce from subsequent tweets that the experimental dig likely took place right across the street from SpaceX’s headquarters in Hawthorne, California.

In his most recent post, Musk said they’ve just installed the steel skeleton of the car / pod elevator, adding that it should be operational by next week.

What seemingly started out as a joke out of Musk’s frustration for traffic in Los Angeles quickly bloomed into a new company. The Boring Company, as it’s called, intends to dig subterranean tunnels under the city of LA that’ll be used to transport people and goods at speeds of more than 120 mph.

Many have dismissed Musk’s idea as being virtually impossible but if there’s one thing we’ve learned about Musk over time, it’s that if he sets his mind to something, there’s a good chance that he’ll figure out a way to make it happen.

With the technical aspects seemingly worked out, one would think that the biggest hurdle moving forward will be getting approval from officials to carve out tunnels under the city.

Permalink to story.

Elon Musk's glorious entry to the city...

No so boring, huh? :)

Last edited:
Jeez, I didn't even realize this was going to be a real thing. I thought it was all concept nonsense.

I feel like society should just cut Musk a blank check and let him build whatever the f he wants.

The concept is good and the execution so far has been flawless but I question the location. With the number of earth movements in this area I would certainly like to see more on how he's guarding against earthquakes and similar events. I would also wonder if any of this tunnel system will eventually go under the bay, rivers, etc and what safeguards will be in place to stop sudden flooding and putting the lives of all those people moving at 100x MPG against hitting that wall of water .... much less getting out of the thing!

Personally If I was going to some boring, I would make utility tunnels (gas, electric, water, and etc.) under roads so there would be less power lines and etc above ground. Plus, allow all the utility companies easier access so they can do better maintenance and upgrades with out having to dig everything up.

Personally If I was going to some boring, I would make utility tunnels (gas, electric, water, and etc.) under roads so there would be less power lines and etc above ground. Plus, allow all the utility companies easier access so they can do better maintenance and upgrades with out having to dig everything up.
I'm sure they're supposed to know what they're doing. I don't understand why in LA though, I would've targeted SF, more specifically the San Andreas faultline. What could go wrong?

You can't have a hole opening up like that on the side of the road, without fences or a high wall around it. Someone or something might fall in.

The concept is good and the execution so far has been flawless but I question the location. With the number of earth movements in this area I would certainly like to see more on how he's guarding against earthquakes and similar events. I would also wonder if any of this tunnel system will eventually go under the bay, rivers, etc and what safeguards will be in place to stop sudden flooding and putting the lives of all those people moving at 100x MPG against hitting that wall of water .... much less getting out of the thing!

This time they need Japan - one country that lies in the pacific ring of fire. For sure, Japan have the technology for extreme situations. I believe in doing the tunnel they would make a small gap for each segment just like tracks in train. But lets see. These are the projects I will give 100% moral support. It takes a man with balls to make it to a reality just like spaceX's recent success and what steve jobs did with the smartphone evolution.

I'm sure they're supposed to know what they're doing. I don't understand why in LA though, I would've targeted SF, more specifically the San Andreas faultline. What could go wrong?

Oh I never said they didn't know what they are doing. I was more of thinking of where I live. I have power lines along my house and the water pipes in my area are probably leaching lead and/or other metals into it. So if there was easier access to the pipes, I would hope that the water company would be more likely to maintain them better.

Anyways, I think it would be funny if the lanes change during some rumbling ;)

Oh I never said they didn't know what they are doing. I was more of thinking of where I live. I have power lines along my house and the water pipes in my area are probably leaching lead and/or other metals into it. So if there was easier access to the pipes, I would hope that the water company would be more likely to maintain them better.

Anyways, I think it would be funny if the lanes change during some rumbling ;)
I was teasing you. Your city is the 1st in the world to have such a thing so it would be a feather in your cap. Us on the other hand, the only underground we've got and will likely ever have is gold and platinum mines. Not terribly exciting or unique.

I bet Elon (or anyone from his team) didn't even think of that, you should message him and tell him before its too late.
Where in God's name did you ever reach the conclusion you could tell Elon Musk anything? He simply doesn't ever shut his mouth long enough for that to happen!

Back