Enthusiast-class "Ivy Bridge-E" CPUs get priced ahead of launch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Pricing for Intel’s upcoming Ivy Bridge-E Core i7 CPUs have leaked onto the web. Chips range in price from $310 on the low end all the way up to $990 for Intel’s most powerful enthusiast chip, all of which are expected to launch sometime during the first week of September.

Starting on the low end, the i7-4820K includes four cores clocked at 3.7GHz alongside 10MB of L3 cache and a 130W TDP. It can be yours for the aforementioned $310. Bumping up to the i7-4930K nets you a six-core CPU clocked at 3.4GHz and 12MB of L3 cache at the same 130W TDP. Expect to pay around $555 for the opportunity which is about $50 cheaper than the previous generation i7-3930K at launch.

core ivy bridge-e pricing surfaces intel cpu core i7 pricing

If money is no object for you, the i7-4960X Extreme Edition will likely be on your wish list. This powerhouse six-core chip is clocked at 3.6GHz and comes with 15MB of L3 cache. Fortunately it’s also a 130W TDP processor so it shouldn’t run much warmer than the i7-4930K.

Unlike its Sandy Bridge-E counterpart, the i7-4820K is an unlocked part which will certainly appeal to overclockers. Even still, however, there will probably be some serious consideration to drop a bit more coin and spring for the i7-4930K due to the two extra processing cores.

It’s worth pointing out that those looking to upgrade from a Sandy Bridge-E platform will be able to do so without buying a new motherboard as the new HEDT parts are compatible with LGA 2011 boards.

Permalink to story.

Yay, bout time, I can't wait for the 4930k, in anxious to see how the performance does compared to its 3930k counterpart!

Good to see the prices have decreased a bit.

Agreed. I might consider an Intel PC, if the prices don't seem too insane. Been using AMD and it's not bad really, then again I'm using a Phenom II X6. Lets see how things have improved, before I plan on cracking open my wallet. :p

I may start saving up for the 4930 if the overclocking performance looks good. I'm also hoping some newer LGA 2011 boards come out.

I hope they solder the heatspreaders instead of using the same **** as Ivy/Haswell.
IB-E was shown to have a soldered heatspreader some time ago
I may start saving up for the 4930 if the overclocking performance looks good. I'm also hoping some newer LGA 2011 boards come out.
Almost certain that there will be a 2.0 revision of the X79 chipset. IB-E should bring validation of both PCI-E 3.0 (which Sandy Bridge-E Core i7 doesn't officially have), and the full feature set of the I/O hub - notably the missing SAS controller. Both these facets of the chipset are already functional in the C600 series chipset

As an enthusiast, I struggle to see a point in Ivy Bridge E... They are launching an architecture weeks after it has been retired on the mainstream parts. Granted you can get more cores and PCIe lanes but the platform feels dated and the architecture feels so last year. Intel should have skipped Ivy Bridge E and launched Haswell E instead.

Do they still have hyper-threading on these chips?
Yes:
IB-E.jpg

I'm still waiting. i7 920 overclocked to a 3.8GHz 24/7.. that's doing me nicely. That platform was pretty much the first -E version of the I-series. :)

As an enthusiast, I struggle to see a point in Ivy Bridge E.
Server/HPC sector has pretty much only just transitioned to LGA 2011 and short lifespans aren't associated with the enterprise sector...and IB-E's that fail the validation process for Xeon binning get tossed into the consumer (i7) arena.
Intel likely have some substantial pre-orders for IB-E Xeon, as well as some high profile HPC contracts. I'd say it's a given that to get the 32,000 Xeon E5-2600 v2 for Tianhe-2 for example, Intel may have had a few processors in the production line that weren't up to being Xeon validated....and it's probably better business to sell the rejected CPUs for $300-1000 a pop than tossing them into the recycling.

Server/HPC sector has pretty much only just transitioned to LGA 2011 and short lifespans aren't associated with the enterprise sector...

Are you saying that you believe LGA2011 will be around for a lot longer? Another 2-3years+ ?

I haven't been up to date on the Haswell-E socket rumours.

Are you saying that you believe LGA2011 will be around for a lot longer? Another 2-3years+ ?

Based off of what ive read and the standards for Intel, this will be the last chip in the 2011 socket. It will probably be 2014 for the next socket :p

Just to complicate matters Haswell-E is also supposed to use LGA 2011 (Lituya Bay chipset). From the leaked roadmap, IB-E runs to late 2014, and Haswell-E launches at that point. It's probably a given at this stage that Haswell-E will require a new board even if the socket remains- since DDR4 uses a 288 pinout design (as opposed to DDR3's 240 pin), even if the CPUs have backward compatibility implemented with the integrated memory controllers - very unlikely IMO given the complexity, and Intel's track record.
X99 ( Lituya Bay/Wellsburg) is pretty much confirmed as LGA 2011 from multiple sources.
Intel-Haswell-E-and-LGA2011-Overview-01.jpg

Intel-Haswell-E-and-LGA2011-Overview-03.jpg

Intel is a master at markets. This was done deliberately. I suspect the slightly cheaper chip is to offset the cost of the motherboard.

As an enthusiast, I struggle to see a point in Ivy Bridge E... They are launching an architecture weeks after it has been retired on the mainstream parts. Granted you can get more cores and PCIe lanes but the platform feels dated and the architecture feels so last year. Intel should have skipped Ivy Bridge E and launched Haswell E instead.
Mmm I'm also curious why such a lag between Haswell and Haswell E. Late 2014 release???

Just wait for Haswell-E.
That's a long wait, and DDR4 RAM isn't gonna be cheap on release.

I'm also down for a 4930K, not been too impressed with the IHS issue on IB and Haswell so didn't bother upgrading to those.

Look at Intel's everyday low price on new products and scratch you head and wonder why pc sales are in the toilet. I saw that Intel came out with a unit t o compete with $35.00 raspberry pi Intel's unit was $199.00. I like Intel but I don't really need what they have anymore I can get by with amd in the future

Yea, that's what worries me next is DDR4, that's going to be expensive and honestly, I doubt we are going to see major gains right off the start (It will be better, but I doubt we are going to be that impressed at launch of DDR4 for the price were going to have to pay). Also theres the fact of the 8-core Haswell-E chips (Which sounds awesome), but depending on how they do pricing with those chips, the mix of the new board, DDR4, and the possibility of new price ranges for chips, the cost for that generation is going to cost a fortune.

As long as the 4930k gets roughly a 15000 in cpumark, then I will be grabbing one (Well it also has to overclock pretty well).

Though I have been hearing a lot about steamroller from AMD, im curious where it will fall at the new price point of 449.

I have a 3820. Depending on reviews and just how compatible it is with my current MB, I might update as the 3820 will go on e-bay fairly easily. Otherwise, I am more likely to wait for the successor to IB-E.

Back