Epic launches its first major games sale, the Epic Mega Sale

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Epic is bringing the fight to Steam with its first major games sale. The Epic Mega Sale offers discounts of up to 75 percent on titles spanning a variety of genres. It runs through mid-June and even includes a free game to download each week. Read on for highlights and details.

Highlights include Metro Exodus for $34.99, RollerCoaster Tycoon Adventures for $9.49, The Witness for $9.99, Subnautica at $7.49 and What Remains of Edith Finch for $9.99.

You can also pre-purchase John Wick Hex and Heavy Rain (a personal favorite) for $7.99 and $9.99, respectively. Detroit: Become Human is additionally available to pre-purchase for only $29.99. Heavy Rain, Detroit: Become Human and Beyond: Two Souls will be exclusives on the Epic Games store for a full year before coming to other PC platforms.

Epic is taking its sale one step further. For every game purchase $14.99 and above, Epic will provide an additional $10 off at no cost to the publisher or developer.

The Epic Mega Sale runs in the Epic Games store from today through June 13. During this period, Epic is also ramping up the number of free games it offers. Up to this point, they’ve released a freebie once every two weeks but during the sale, you’ll get a new game to try out each and every week. It starts with Stories Untold, an experimental adventure game from No Code.

Permalink to story.

Wow, they're just throwing money around (discounting "coming soon" games).

Too bad this wasn't done instead of the timed exclusive BS. I might've actually spent some money on the store...

Very nice, I have few games I wanted to get so it's good time to get them. especially with cage's games.

Wait... Did Epic introduce regional pricing? Because Metro Exodus is available for $15 and $20 for Standard and Gold Editions respectively.

Now THIS is how you get people to use your store and not despise you for it. Just offer a better value (I haven't checked Steam's sale, if it's even going on, so I don't know what they're offering).

This is real competition, at least for the games that are available on both platforms.

If Epic had used all their money for this in the first place I probably would have bought games from them. As it stands, I can't justify supporting their other anti-consumer business practices.

Wait... Are the ~30 games on their Store page everything they have?

I'll just take the free games and consider installing their launcher at some point, if I ever want to play them.

Phoenix Point and Quantic Dream games are tempting, but how are the PC ports and in what kind of condition will Phoenix Point be at release? I just cannot prepurchase these games for not being sure what I will get. I already assume Phoenix Point will have performance problems, bugs and whatnot at release, so you will just wait for patches anyway and eventually the next sale will offer at least the same price as now.

Honestly, prepurchasing games feel more like a trap today rather than an exciting event of waiting the launch day, all ready for a session. You will only face problems and frustration, so why even bother? Even the very polished Quantic Dream games can miss features, like how could I know what crucial PC setting is missing this time? You just cannot trust it being good, only after patches games are good. Community will demand the most needed features after the release obviously and then they will be implemented sooner or later.

Does it also give Steam keys? Otherwise sales like this are pointless for me. :)

I'm still extremely pissed that Detroit is an exclusive for an entire year. Another game I won't be buying even if I wanted to play it.

Such a business model should be encouraged by people.. to fail miserably by just not buying the game. (and I'm glad that many are doing so already)

Last edited:
We support developers much better than Valve/Steam *throwing free games at everyone* and *games goes on sale after 3 months*

Whoah why all the hate against Epic? Steam isn't altruistic, they're a business like any other business that pretty much had a monopoly. If Epic feels they can compete, then all the power to them! I like Steam, but I'm not beholden to them anymore than I am to any other company that I buy products from. Competition is good for a healthy market.

Have you played Heavy Rain? I'm a fan of Quantic Dream games, and as much as I enjoyed Beyond: Two Souls, Heavy Rain is my favourite! Give it a go :)
I havent played it because I never owned consoles. But I will give it a try if it is released on PC.

Yeah cheap and great deals but once they have the customers trapped expect less deals in the future.

Back