Even with thicker glass and stronger metal, the Galaxy S9 will probably break when dropped

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung’s new Galaxy S9 was found to be reasonably durable by JerryRigEverything last week although critically, the YouTube channel didn’t perform any drop testing. For that, we turn to consumer electronics warranty provider SquareTrade who on Monday, published the results of its breakability testing on the new S9.

The good news for Samsung and prospective buyers is that the S9 proved more durable than both the Galaxy S8 and the iPhone X. The bad news? It still breaks on the first drop. Such was the case in controlled drops (face down, back down and on the side) from a height of six feet onto concrete as seen in the video below.

In bend tests, the S9 bent under 230 pounds of pressure while the larger S9+ caved at 210 pounds. In the tumble test, both phones exhibited hairline cracks and corner damage after a 60-second run.

All things considered, the Galaxy S9 earned a breakability score of 71 (medium risk) while the S9+ garnered a score of 76 (medium-high risk).

Jason Siciliano, global creative director at SquareTrade, said that with the S9 and S9+, and last year’s iPhone X, we’re continuing to see a trend of beautiful all-glass designs that come with a high price tag and a high risk of damage from drops and mishaps.

Siciliano adds that their tests and claims data shows that even when in cases, such phones are still experiencing damage. “So, while water resistance has improved across the board, all of that glass means that durability has actually gone backward over the past year.”

Permalink to story.

Cool. Glass breaks when it's dropped? Weird.
I know, right?

mj9k6.jpg

Captain Obvious says, "truth is, they'll let anybody have a website these days".

Last edited:
Who pays this money for a phone and doesn't put a case on it?
Because of how large the phones are nowadays, putting a case can make them uncomfortable in your pocket, especially if you have smaller than average pockets. But I agree, such expensive phones do need the extra protection :D

2 words.
Transparent Aluminium.
I'm sure Dr. Nichols at Plexicorp would have developed it by now. Although he may not be working for that company anymore.

Even with a high quality case my s8+ cracked when it dropped from my bed. Warranty is a must now. I never cracked ANY of my smartphones until I got the all glass S8+. Case helps but if u hold on to these things for 2 years its gonna eventually crack. They WANT u to buy the insurance.

Even with a high quality case my s8+ cracked when it dropped from my bed. Warranty is a must now. I never cracked ANY of my smartphones until I got the all glass S8+. Case helps but if u hold on to these things for 2 years its gonna eventually crack. They WANT u to buy the insurance.
The insurance is through a third party and I can assure you they don't want to Insure these phones. Give me a titanium phone with a stock sapphire glass screen and I'll pay $1000 for that. Otherwise I'm happy with my $200 phones that last essentially forever.

I only make phone calls, read emails and argue one on internet with my phone so I see no need for these flagship phones. My first car cost less than these, it's absurd

Right? I cant believe we started making phones out of this stuff!

There must be some kind of material that we could use instead, something that doesnt block wireless signals but is still durable? Maybe we could make something out of oil.

I don't under stand why more phones are not made like the Moto Droid turbo 2....That screen will not break.

Because of how large the phones are nowadays, putting a case can make them uncomfortable in your pocket, especially if you have smaller than average pockets. But I agree, such expensive phones do need the extra protection :D

True! I see more and more people wearing stupid ugly tight pants and I'm surprised if they can even fit a penny in their pockets. I never understand these horrible clothing trends. That or they're gayyyy.

The insurance is through a third party and I can assure you they don't want to Insure these phones. Give me a titanium phone with a stock sapphire glass screen and I'll pay $1000 for that. Otherwise I'm happy with my $200 phones that last essentially forever.

Exactly what I was think.
I only make phone calls, read emails and argue one on internet with my phone so I see no need for these flagship phones. My first car cost less than these, it's absurd

Right? I cant believe we started making phones out of this stuff!

There must be some kind of material that we could use instead, something that doesnt block wireless signals but is still durable? Maybe we could make something out of oil.

I don't under stand why more phones are not made like the Moto Droid turbo 2....That screen will not break.

Exactly my thoughts, mine's already 2 years old and not a single problem on the screen.

Back