Everyone in NY is going to die from Asbestos

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNGX1275

Ok its not quite as serious as the title of this thread. But the author wants to plant in your mind that it is.
NYC under an asbestos cloud
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/54382_asbestos14.shtml

Monday, January 14, 2002

By ANDREW SCHNEIDER
©2002 ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
Federal and state officials have grossly underestimated the number of people in lower Manhattan who are at risk of lethal asbestos-related disease because of the collapse of the World Trade Center, independent experts say.

Evaluations by teams of leading asbestos researchers show the increased risk to people who live, work or study in homes or offices that have not been properly decontaminated could be as high as one additional cancer death for every 10 people exposed.
What the entire article fails to mention is that there are 2 forms of asbestos. They are both the exact chemical composition but 1 form rolls itself into a needle-like structure. The other form lays flat. The needle form sticks in the tissue of lungs while the other form is typically removed by coughing and such. The basis they have for the needle like causing cancer is from miners that worked in the needle form asbestos mines and their lung cancer deaths - which also was likely affected by many of the miners constantly smoking.
Here is my main point - that "deadly" needle like asbestos hasn't been used in construction since before the WTC was built, all asbestos thats used in the US now, and during the WTC construction, is the flat lying asbestos.

I have a question about posting news. What does this have to do with 3DS forums ? Aren't we suppose to be posting about computers and related news ? If we can post news stories like the 4 I just read then why don't I just post stories from all the major news services and news websites here all day and shoot my post count up to 2000 ?? Sorry if I am comming off wrong but I thought we where suppose to be at least a little computer related with news posts ?? If I am wrong, I apologize.

That is scary! :eek: I heard one or the original steelworkers say that was the "sprayed on" asbestos used in the construction or the WTC.

Originally posted by boeingfixer
I have a question about posting news. What does this have to do with 3DS forums ? Aren't we suppose to be posting about computers and related news ? If we can post news stories like the 4 I just read then why don't I just post stories from all the major news services and news websites here all day and shoot my post count up to 2000 ?? Sorry if I am comming off wrong but I thought we where suppose to be at least a little computer related with news posts ?? If I am wrong, I apologize.
Nah you aren't comming off wrong. Probably majority of the time you should be looking for computer related news that could possibly make to the front page.
But you know what - sometimes this place is a little too serious, and myself and unc didnt' think that always we need to focus on computers.
Another reason I posted this is because all the time we get posts by people in this computer industry. I'm just a Geology/Geophysics major - dont' even have a real job yet. I read computer stuff here and this is not my life, so people that this is their life - I'd just like to throw a little diversity into it.
Ok maybe it was a little off topic but so what - you didn't have to read it did you? Now maybe you learned something that you didnt' know before? I would almost bet my 1st month salary once I graduate that you didnt' know there were 2 types of mineral asbestos. Does a little extra knowledge hurt?

I apologise for any people like Boeing that I pissed off by posting somethign not computer related but I do not apologise for exposing you to something that you wouldnt' have otherwise been exposed to.

There is much more I'd like to say right now but I'll refrain because I feel that this is not the place to say it. My AIM screen name and my ICQ UIN is in my profile for those that would like to have an intellegent conversation on whatever you think you would like to say.

and you know what? anyone can search yahoo.com and post the first link that comes up with computer in it. I chose somethign off topic for fun, maybe it shouldn't have been posted here and rather pmed to several people that I choose just to keep from offending others.

Originally posted by uncleel
That is scary! :eek: I heard one or the original steelworkers say that was the "sprayed on" asbestos used in the construction or the WTC.
I don't see any reason to think that the sprayed on asbestos is the needle like asbestos. From what I have learned - all the US has used for many decades has been the "safe" asbestos.

Sure breathing in anythign other than "pure" air "could" cause health problems, but probably about as serious as inhaling the fumes from the one time you spray painted your old bike when you were 8 years old.

Originally posted by boeingfixer

The whole universe is not computer based, and neither is this forum. Its fair game if someone has a topic of interest to the membership, which on the whole are intellectuals. I have interests besides computing (cosmology, logic, astro physics, metaphysics, electronics, space travel, girls....) which some people here might also be interested in. Just post it in the right place.

Eww... That's scary. No wonder my parent never wanted any "plaster ceilings" in my house (think those are asbestos based).

Phantasm66, Uncleel, SGNX:
Should we be posting non computer related news here or will there an "Off Topic" forum created in the near future? ;)

Originally posted by lokem
Phantasm66, Uncleel, SGNX:
Should we be posting non computer related news here or will there an "Off Topic" forum created in the near future? ;)
Off topic news probably shouldnt' be posted all the time, but I would say if you found something interesting that not everyone will know about, thats off topic, you can post it here.

Originally posted by SNGX1275

Nah you aren't comming off wrong. Probably majority of the time you should be looking for computer related news that could possibly make to the front page.
But you know what - sometimes this place is a little too serious, and myself and unc didnt' think that always we need to focus on computers.
Another reason I posted this is because all the time we get posts by people in this computer industry. I'm just a Geology/Geophysics major - dont' even have a real job yet. I read computer stuff here and this is not my life, so people that this is their life - I'd just like to throw a little diversity into it.
Ok maybe it was a little off topic but so what - you didn't have to read it did you? Now maybe you learned something that you didnt' know before? I would almost bet my 1st month salary once I graduate that you didnt' know there were 2 types of mineral asbestos. Does a little extra knowledge hurt?

I apologise for any people like Boeing that I pissed off by posting somethign not computer related but I do not apologise for exposing you to something that you wouldnt' have otherwise been exposed to.

There is much more I'd like to say right now but I'll refrain because I feel that this is not the place to say it. My AIM screen name and my ICQ UIN is in my profile for those that would like to have an intellegent conversation on whatever you think you would like to say.

and you know what? anyone can search yahoo.com and post the first link that comes up with computer in it. I chose somethign off topic for fun, maybe it shouldn't have been posted here and rather pmed to several people that I choose just to keep from offending others.

Wow seems long winded :) But I agree with you. I wouldn't mind reading things that are not really related to computers every once in a while. Just a little change of pace. Because I don't really get out and read the paper, or news websites that often, and a quick little post in here will suffice for me sometimes.

Then like I said, if I am wrong I do apologize. I just thought you guys didn't want to hear my endless wanderings about airplanes. Yes I agree whole-heartedly that you need to take a break from what you do normally. And to be honest, this is my break......now that's screwed up huh ?? I work in the Airline bus. normally and come home alot of nights whipped.

I thank your comment in response to mine and I take no offence by any of it. I have really come to enjoy being here with all of you and plan on staying a long while....

Again, thanks for your side SNG and Unc !!

I would also wholeheartedly agree that having something off topic is, if anything, refreshing. This forum may be centered on computers: but it shouldn't be, because after a while there won't be much new to talk about, it will get hopelessly repetitive. Venturing too off subject, out of the realm of computers, isn't necessary, only the posting of information people might be interested in, such as the fact that there's a big cloud of poisonous gas hovering over one of America's major cities. I don't find anything wrong Zach posting this news. Keep it coming!

Technically spreaking, in a way, boeingfixer is correct.

[FONT=arial]"Got News?
You can contribute with 3DS' daily news feed here, you may even get posted on the frontpage."[/FONT]

But I guess it's not a hard & fast rule, just a guideline. So although you strive to find a good news article; if the premise was only, "New worthy enough to be posted on 3DS" then alot of news wouldn't get posted @ all!

Personally, I so sick of the "1 post & out" news blurps that any change right now would be refreshing. You rather like the story about Oz, no?! I found these ROTFL!
Ozzy Osbourne invited to White House
Tawny Kitaen "Bachelor Party" Movie Babe, Arrested
Woman decries Burger King's "BK Veggie Burger"

I enjoyed the Ozzy story too, I just thought we where suppose to stick to computer related stuff, but Ozzy at least has probably seen a computer before so I guess that counts. ;)

Hey now that would be a good topic, 6 degrees of computers, pick a topic and try to link that topic or person to the PC....Any takers ? Kindof like the 6 degrees of kevin bacon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back