Excessive freezing and lag, unknown cause

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I am getting frustrated every time my computer lags and freezes. This is because I have no idea why it is doing such.

Some background:

I bought this computer that was already used and has Windows 7. It had programs already on it, but not many. As of my knowledge, it also was not using the graphics card in it, which is a NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT. Therefore I had to install the drivers myself. It runs on a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2200 MHz Processor and has a nVidia nForce4 Chipset. I still do not know if I installed the GeForce correctly or not. I have 320 gigs of hard drive. It only started lagging after I ran out of Kaspersky Anti Virus. They wanted me to update my subscription, but instead I just uninstalled it. I am currently scanning for viruses and malware with Malwarebytes but nothing has come up yet. Once again, this all started right after my subscription for AntiVirus ran out. The lag became a little better after uninstallation of the program, but soon began to become worse than before. The lag is now frustrating that I have to resort to Gamebooster just so I can play games somewhat decently.

The Issue:

It lags a lot. By a lot I mean A LOT! If I want to watch a video on Youtube, I have to wait until the video is completely loaded (the red bar is full) until I can watch it with no lag. Otherwise, there is an insane amount of lag. It skips and so does the audio. This is on low quality youtube vids (360p). I couldn't imagine how much it would lag if I watched any higher quality.

I play games such as Counter Strike and Dungeon Fighter Online. I have to resort to Gamebooster just so that I can play these games somewhat decently at best. If I play with more than a few people in the game, then I uncontrollably lag to the point that the game freezes and disconnects.

I am so desperate to fix this issue. As far as I know, this computer should not be lagging since it has pretty good specs.

Please, please help me!

I am using my laptop to make this post, which uses the same internet connection and router (wireless as well as the PC) and it does not lag when I play games.

Since you are not sure about the video drivers do the following:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back