Explorer.exe not booting

It seems a lot of people have this same problem, but the solutions that worked for them are not working for me. Let me back date the problem for you.
I received this computer from my father-in-law. He reformatted the hard drive and installed Win XP SP 2 on it. I brought it home and it worked fine. I downloaded WOW, but the game was extremely laggy when i started it, so I didn't play it on this computer after that. The computer proceeded to run with no issues. A few days later, I downloaded Chuzzle Deluxe. The computer still worked fine for a couple of days. Then one day, I booted the computer and I had nothing but my wallpaper displaying. I used CTRL-ALT-DLT and manually started my explorer.exe. All the icons appeared and my start up menu loaded. I thought the problem was fixed, but then I encountered the next problem. Most of my icons won't respond when I click on them. This includes Icons on my desktop as well as in my start menu. I can access the control panel, but I can't access anything inside the control panel. I have tried system restore and i received a restore incomplete error. I tried downloading MalWareBytes, but the program wont download. I tried the start up manager, It downloaded, but will not run. I tried HiJackThis, but report returned no errors. I ran regedit and went through that whole process, but my explorer.exe or iexplorer.exe did not need to be removed, so that suggested solution did not help. Every time I turn on the computer, I have to manually start explorer, but I can't do anything to fix my icons. If someone can please help me resolve these issues, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, Due to the fact that my Father-in-law installed the OS... i do not have a copy of the OS here, so reloading the OS might be harder to accomplish at this time.

Back