Extra Partition help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I was jacking around on my computer under "computer management," specifically under "disk management," and I saw that I could create an extra partition from my current one. So I proceeded to create an extra partition the size of 1GB, just to make sure I didn't blow my whole drive away. Anyway, I can use the extra partition as I should be able to, but a 1GB partition isn't very useful...at all. So I want to know if I can add that 1GB partition back to my original partition, especially since I only have a 63 GB hard drive.

Right now I have it basically removed with no drive letter assigned and I've set it so it doesn't show under "My Computer." Also...everytime I start up my computer it says it has located new hardware (my extra 1GB partition) and that it failed to properly install the drive. I believe this is just because I've removed the drive letter and hidden the drive...but it's still annoying. Anyway I want to know if I can re-add that 1GB back to my original partition, and if I can't, how I can get my computer to stop displaying the "Found New Hardware" window at start-up.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the über long thread!

The "new hardware" has nothing to do with the drive you made and deleted. You must have removed something from the device manager.

As for getting the unused space with your original primary partition, it's posible, with 3rd party software. BUT, is extreamly risky. If I where you I'd just leave it as it is and use it as a 2nd partition. (even if it's small :))

Are you using Vista??? I think in Vista you can "merge" or shrink that partition back. It should be in the disk management area.....I haven't tried it but I think I saw that option there.

Yes, vista has this, but he isn't using vista.
"My Computer" changed to "Computer" in vista :), so he has XP or win2k

Crazy said:
Yes, vista has this, but he isn't using vista.
"My Computer" changed to "Computer" in vista :), so he has XP or win2k
hah....I didn't notice that. :D

Yeah...I'm definitely on XP sp2. I'm also quite aware of what I've actually done. I've split part of my primary partition, my drive into a third partition (my second is my recovery drive [D:/] ). The problem is I can't figure out how to merge, if possible. Now I have a third, 1 GB partition. I can make it into a drive or just hide it, but either way upon restart I get the "Found New Hardware" message.
Sorry if I provided insufficient details from the start.

The "Found New Hardware" message you are talking about doesn't really have anything to do with the partitions.
This is a hardware device thats being detected. Did you plug in something? usb/firewire

Or, when you say you've been "jacking around" in your "computer management" then i think the you deleted something there.

Delete the new partitions that you don't want anymore, leave that space where they were as unpartitioned or unused or whatever its called. Then download gParted and 'grow' your current partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back