Extremely Slow Install/Extraction/Bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diresu

I have posted this issue before with no luck getting it resolved. So I thought I'd try again :)

Basically my computer takes forever to extract any rared file. It also tends to take an extremely long time to install anything. Lastly, the bootup to windows takes a lot longer then it should. When its at the xp screen with the blue bar going across, its there about 10x longer then it should be. Another issue I have, which is probablly caused by the same cause is this...

Lets say i run winamp, music is playing etc, then i go to open an application, say firefox. My music studders and cuts out like a scratched cd till that application loads. Thats the best I can explain it. This happens pretty much on any application I open. To further illustrate my issue ill give you another example. If im extracting anything or installing anything, then open a movie...the movie skips a ton. Also, when i open an application, it even takes a while for it to open, it just sits there like i didnt ever click to start it, then after 10-20 seconds it pops up...

Other Examples:

Downloaded patch for Battlefield 2...200 megs or so.
Installing it took my friend 5 min. It took me 2 hours.
Loading a BF2 map...takes him min or two...takes me 5-10
Basically...everything runs so much slower then its suppose to....

Things I have done to try and fix it:
Replaced CPU Fan to make sure CPU isn't overheating
Replaced crap PSU with Antec PSU
Reinstalled all drivers including chipset drivers.
Tried installing an application on my other hard drive to see if it runs any better and it does not, this also applies to extracting files on that drive as well, no change.
I replaced this hard drive 3x now and still nothing.
I formatted to make sure its not a virus caused issue, no dice.
I tested my RAM by taking out a stick at a time to see if if there is any change and nothing.
Defragmented/Chk Disk my drive multiple times

My system Specs

P4 3.4 Presscot HT, 1MB of cache
nVidia 6800 Ultra
2 gigs of PC3200 OCZ RAM
Antec 550W PSU
Abit AS8-3rd Eye Motherboard
Onboard sound
Both of my HD's are Western Digital

Let me know if I missed anything...

PLEASE HELP :( This is driving me nuts....

Well i had my pc for a few years and it wasn't happening at first. Id say it started about half a year ago or so. I haven't done any hardware changes either that might point to the problem =/

Have a look through this guide, and see if it will help. (which i think you've done most of it lol)

Tutorial: How to speed up your pc for free

Also, you said that it happens while bootup as well, so have you tried disableing any unneccesary programs from starting up and uninstalling the programs not needed anymore?

If you have norton installed right now, uninstall it (purely for troubleshooting purposes) and see if it makes any difference. Also have a look HERE if you suspect any spyware/malware issues, or to cross it off completely

Check BIOS settings to see if its all correct and optimised for your setup (it happend to me when i reset mine back to default.. slow..).

Haven't messed with your page(swap)file have you?

If you have by chance, you might want to reset it.

Right click My Computer -> Properties - > Advanced -> Settings(under Performance) -> Advanced -> Change

Make sure it isn't set too high, something like 1x to 1.5x your RAM should do. I've also heard of some people disabling it altogether with 2GB of RAM(minimum) as it isn't required.

EDIT

I realize you've formatted many times; but (not saying YOU do this) some of my friends also claim that(after doing virtually nothing except reboot 500 times) since they don't want to lose any of their...well stuff.

Hmm...don't see why that would work...and over the course of the time that it didn't work im sure i did reboot close to that hah.

Checked page file, its set to my ram size. 2046

use mike lin's startup editor to turn off/on programs you don't want to autoload. A lot of autoload programs can really slow down your rig.

Downloaded the editor and there was barely anything running. Doesn't seem to be it either :(

I am starting to wonder if its my mobo/cpu...

Sounds like you may need a new drive. Have you reformatted it with Windows XP?

Try that first, but if not bad drive(s).

Yea i formatted with XP. Reason I though its not the drive is because this is the 3rd hard drive I replaced....

hmmk.. open up your pc, and then look for anything out of the ordinary, such as burns, smells, popped capacitors, loose connections etc.

Check your PSU, find the sticker on the side and post us its specs
-Make/model
-wattage rating
-Amps
Take out everything so you're left with 1 HDD, 1 Ram stick, Mobo/cpu, power, audio/visual (onboard if possible). Reset CMOS then turn on the pc and enter BIOS/SETUP and select "Optimised Settings" or something. Boot up now and see if its faster. If its OK then start putting back things untill you hit the bad spot..

I'm guessing maybe slow hdd because of lack of power.. or some hardware is starting to fail..

Fixed it finally. Turns out the IDE connection on the mobo was bad. Switched it to one of the others and no issues.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back