Factory Underclocked CARDS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i recently bought a Jetway X1950-PRO PCI-E and i'm in a BIG dilemma. MY card comes with the core clock at 575 MGHZ (standard for this card) and 590 Memory Clock (100 MGHZ lower than the standard , 690).... Why would they do this? , to add a cheaper FAN or sink?..

well anyways i wanted to overclock it to factory standards to give it a try but 100MGHZ is A LOT.. specially considering that MY card doesn't support ATI OVERDRIVE and there's no way i can get TEMPERATURE READ OUTS .. Not even with Riva Tuner or ATI TOOL.. someone recommended using SPEED FAN but i have no idea how to use it and i only get TEMP's for my HDD's , CPU , AMBIENT and REMOTE (what is this? , is this my GPU?)... so the only way i have left is using ATI TOOL artifact CHECK to see if it overheats (i assume that if i don't get ARTIFACTS , then it means it's not overheating) ..

so what would you people do ? (please don't recommend me buying another card , i have had this for less than a month)

Also is the 100 MGZ difference very BIG ? (FPS-wise)

Maybe the card's memory was lowered because it didn't pass the stability tests at a higher speed. Feel free to overclock as you would any other component meaning you raise the speed by 5MHz steps & after every clock change you test the stability of the card with benchmarks & games, etc.

If the card remains stable & if you don't have any visual artefacts you are good to go. Just keep in mind that changing the clock speed voids your warranty so if your card fails after a few weeks/months you won't be able to replace it.

As for the performance increase you won't know what it brings until you try it. Good luck.

Overclocking technically voids your warranty, but I have returned parts that I have OC'ed (they didn't die because of the OC, of course). And I have an 8400GS that I have OC from 459/400 (core/memory) to 575/500. Totally stable after hours of team fortress 2, and could go a bit higher. (Im just too lazy to test for artifacts again and again for an extra 9mhz lol) If I were you I would go for it - ive never seen a card underclocked before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back