Fairly consistent BSOD on fresh install

I need help finding the cause to my frequent BSOD.

My systems is an older A8v/Athlon 64 X2 that has been fairly trouble free. About a month or so ago, I thought I had a drive failing in a RAID 0 setup, because I was getting "could not read.." etc. at boot up of OS files. Chkdsk was returning errors, but correcting them.

Since it was a RAID0, I decided to buy some new drives and setup a RAID5. After installing new controller and drives, I started getting BSOD x7A every 4-6 hours. After reading a lot of forums, I ran memtest and found I had a bad pair of memory. Removed bad pair, re-formatted and re-installed XP.

After clean install of XP SP2, I got a BSOD 0xf4 during the night as the computer was 'idle'. Only thing installed at this point was XP SP2, Si3114 driver, video driver, and mother board drivers. This is my main work system, so I continued installs. I am still getting BSOD 0x7a - SCSIPORT.SYS every 4-6 hours. If I restart my system before a BSOD, I can stretch time between BSOD considerably.

I've run chkdsk - no erros, re-created pagefile after defrag, memtest overnight with 27+ passes no errors. Current temps - MB 15C, CPU 39C. Voltage are correct and stable, no overclocking

My current setup is:
XP SP3
A8v mother board
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Enermax 420w
Radeon 9550
1G (was 3G) Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/1G - my /2G sticks are being RMA'd
RC-209-EX - (Sil3114) SoftRAID5 w/ 3x HD103SJ - 4 parts, boot 120G
on board VIA SoftRaid0 w/ 2x WD800JD
No other cards installed.
Memory timings are 3-3-3-8 & 200MHz

I've attached the last 10 mini-dumps since this install (newest_minidump.7z). I've also included a partial of the previous install mini-dumps(first_minidump.7z) and my original install.

I uses this system daily and any help would be greatly appreciated. The RC-209-EX and drives are only thing new in system.

BSOD occur even when computer is 'idle'. One happened at 12:02am and again @5:21am - I had not touched system. I had turned off auto-restart, but re-enabled it, to try and track how often BSOD occurred.

Attachments

• Newest_Minidump.7z
    98.6 KB · Views: 2
  • first_Minidump.7z
    192.1 KB · Views: 2
  • original_Minidump.7z
    110.4 KB · Views: 0
I read your five most recent dumps and they were all the same 0x0000007A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

A page of kernel data was not found in the pagefile and could not be read into memory. This might be due to incompatible disk or controller drivers, firmware, or hardware. Typically however, it is caused by a bad block in the paging file or disk controller error.

All five cited the same Windows OS driver SCSIPORT.SYS and is a controller for SCSI and RAID.

I don't think the XP software RAID 5 is the issue. The RC-209 card is performing the primary job of controlling the RAID setup. My understanding is that it just requires the use of the CPU to function unlike a true RAID card that has processing built in.

Windows is booting and seeing my RAID setup as a single logical drive.

I am thinking it is more on the driver/firmware side of things as stated by Route44, but believe I have the latest I can get of everything, so do not know how to proceed, or if I am stuck with incompatible hardware.

Once I get all my data of the original RAID setup, I may try one more install of windows on the original drives without the RC-209 card and see if I have any BSODs.

Different BSOD

I have not been able solve this issue. I have resorted to restarting computer every 3 hours or so. I just got a new BOSD, this time a CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION referencing ehdrv.sys, along with ntoskrnl.exe and ntfs.sys. I've attached dump.

Attachments

• Mini031711-01.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 2
This BSOD minidump has an error code of F4.

The CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION bug check has a value of 0x000000F4. This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

The minidump mentioned a process, Hardware-Disc.

I did not see any reference to the three drivers you mentioned above. But, when ntfs.sys appears in a minidump that relates to the file system on the hard drive.

Not sure what else to suggest here. Possibly there is some incorrect settings with the card or something in the PC's Bios that needs to be changed. It might also be worth running the manufacturers diagnostics on the drives, even if they are new. Check out the manufacturers site and get the diagnostics ISO for dos and burn to a CD, then boot the PC with the disk in the drive. CD Drive needs to be set to 1st in the boot order.

I looked at some information on the card you are using and it had mixed reviews. One XP user said they had no problems and another was not impressed with the number of problems. I guess the card has to be set up just right for it to work.

Back