Fan size

Hello forum,

I'm currently in the process of updated my computer's hardware. I've got pretty much a list of what i would like (i have already purchased the Power Supply and the graphics card). However i am planning on overclocking the procceseur (i5 2500k) and am looking into different cooling systems because rumour has it that the cooling device given along with the CPU is no good.

My only problem is that the ones i am looking at are very big and i've heard that people have had trouble installing RAM because some cooling systems get in the way.

Here is what i'm planning on purchasing:

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 pro
CPU: i5 2500k
Cooler: Thermaltake Frio CLP0564 or Mastercooler v8

Now i've heard numerous rumours about ram not fitting after installing these monsters, particularly the RAM i was interested in, the Corsair DDR3 1600 which has massive cooling "wings". I don't know whether getting smaller Ram, like the Kingston DDR3 1600 would be better. But will having hardly no cooling on the RAM hinder it's performance? Are their any alternatives to these cooling systems i am looking at? Maybe a bit smaller but still capable of cooling enough? What are your opinions?

Thanks,

Tom

P.s: Would i have to get another case if i wanted one of these big cooling systems?

Just get the normal sized RAM sticks, they don't get that hot anyway.

Check the specs for the cooler and for your case, they usually give a clearance height. What case do you have anyway

I just did a build for myself with an Asus p8z68v-lx and an i5 2500k inside an Antec 300 (around $40). I installed one of these with no problem and a great fit.$2.99 after rebate and free shipping!! OC'd to 4.3gig no problem but Im using "non-winged" Corsair DDR3 1600 . I can play Skyrim on medium settings on the igpu and torture tested it for 12 hours with no problems. Standard use the CPU temp is 26-28C and 41-46C under semi-medium/heavy load. Highly recommend it if you have good air flow. I don't plan on buying a GPU until prices drop (not that big of a gamer).

Consider the thermalright true spirit 120 and 140, but they are tower coolers and probably won't fit in the stock HP case. In fact, few large coolers will fit.

Hello forum,

I'm currently in the process of updated my computer's hardware. I've got pretty much a list of what i would like (i have already purchased the Power Supply and the graphics card). However i am planning on overclocking the procceseur (i5 2500k) and am looking into different cooling systems because rumour has it that the cooling device given along with the CPU is no good.

My only problem is that the ones i am looking at are very big and i've heard that people have had trouble installing RAM because some cooling systems get in the way.

Here is what i'm planning on purchasing:

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 pro
CPU: i5 2500k
Cooler: Thermaltake Frio CLP0564 or Mastercooler v8

Now i've heard numerous rumours about ram not fitting after installing these monsters, particularly the RAM i was interested in, the Corsair DDR3 1600 which has massive cooling "wings". I don't know whether getting smaller Ram, like the Kingston DDR3 1600 would be better. But will having hardly no cooling on the RAM hinder it's performance? Are their any alternatives to these cooling systems i am looking at? Maybe a bit smaller but still capable of cooling enough? What are your opinions?

Thanks,

Tom

P.s: Would i have to get another case if i wanted one of these big cooling systems?

I use a Promlatech Genesis, it is one of the best cpu coolers and also cools ram and the mobo at the same time. I have 4gb 2200 mhz cl7 ram cooled without using the crappy cooling mount they came with.

Back