Fdisk, MBR question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a warning from my Norton 2003 AV that my boot record has been changed. So i tried to go back to old boot record using NAV option.

Now I lost access to the drive. and hence all data on it. cant boot.
So. I did Fdisk /mbr. ( i am still using ME as XP pro don't like my ATI video card).

Now i got access to HD back but not to data and 80 GB HD shows 10 GB coz the first partition was 10GB.

Any idea to go back to the original boot sector? or getting back original MBR ?

I used WD DLG. and it gave me my 80GB back but when I do fdisk it goes back to 10GB.

TIA.

I will be a regular on this forum from now on. I found it searching some help for my PC.

h/

Why on earth did you go messing with your MBR if everything was working OK and NAV didn't report a specific virus?
Why did you do fdisk again when you got your 80GB?
(Sorry, I suppose you are feeling bad enough already)

You have probably messed up your partition table for good. Best choice would be to put the HD in another computer as a secondary disk and try to recover all the data you can/need. Then clean sweep and start over.

It is always a good idea to keep a printed copy of your partition tables so you can manually restore it in case of a *up.

I'm gonna have to agree with Nodsu on this one..You really should never mess with the boot record unless absolutely necessary but I'm sure you know that now. Your probably just gonna have to bite the bullet... Tough break man:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back